Cologne

• Crowd disturbances

• Setting of fireworks

• Throwing of objects

• Acts of damage

Arsenal

• Stairways blocked in away supporters sector

1 Like

It’s a bit much the FA criticising us for not controlling the Koln supporters.
Their travelling support was the equivalent of the population of a small town, and most of them didn’t have tickets.
Blaming the club and the stewards for what was effectively an unprecedented situation is unfair.

4 Likes

Guess only a fine.

They’re not really criticising us to be fair but from a h&s aspect that stairway one is a rule they routinely enforce.

2 Likes

That isn’t remotely why our support is shit, you sound like you dont have a clue what you’re talking about, as if people in the ground are deciding not to make noise in case they get branded “the problem” by other fans. Nonsense.

10 Likes

We have spoken

1 Like

Our support is shit because people don’t fucking support. A big chunk of our support berates those that do, instead of actually supporting. There are actually punch ups between Arsenal fans inside and out of the stadium because of it.

Guessing you haven’t gone to a game lately? (not that I’ve been much myself).

Call it nonsense all you like, but its not. Our fanbase is a mess, and what I mentioned above is absolutely a contributing factor. Not so much in that people feel they cant support, but people choose to boo instead of sing because of this weird idea that any kind of positive support is holding the club back or detrimental.

1 Like

Literally not once in 14 years of going to games have I ever seen a single Arsenal fan shout at another one for supporting the team.

1 Like

Palace away last season, saw it myself.

Oh, well that means it’s going on all the time, every game, clearly.

Didn’t say it did.

Certainly seems to me you’re suggesting this is a widespread issue.

2 Likes

Widespread.
All the time/every game.

What do you want me to expand upon?

Shall just apologise now that my anecdotal evidence didnt align with yours? Since you can’t figure out what meaning you want to take from my writing im just gonna draw a line here to avoid a tedious back and forth.

To be fair you don’t have to look much further than OA to find people berating others for being too optimistic or unrealistic in their support of Arsenal and Wenger.

3 Likes

i found it amusing that two mods of this very forum had the audacity to ignore this very thing. Glad you mentioned it. :smile:

I’m not sure to what extent this happens on Matchdays but what you and Oliver have suggested is true.

Somehow supporting the team regardless of our circumstances is seen as being ‘complicit’ in supporting the ‘evil’ regime of Kroenke and Wenger

1 Like

I still get shit about supporting Wenger now and I’ve been Wenger out for like, almost 2 fucking years. :smile:

1 Like

You’re welcome.

I’m totally guilty of giving you and a4tt shit for it as well, so I couldn’t let this slide haha

End of the day, it’s good that people support the team and stay optimistic through thick and thin.

Most of the time when I lash out at someone saying something like “Don’t worry, we’re still in the league we can still do it” it’s usually because I’m fucking furious and kneejerking about the fact we just lost to Stoke or got humiliated by Liverpool and don’t want anyone else to be able to see a bright side that I can’t :joy:

2 Likes

True, but the online world has never represented the scene in the stadium very well.

1 Like

Oh the audacity! :open_mouth:

Nobody had pointed it out until Cristo posted, after we had made our two comments, so how exactly are we meant to have ignored something that hasn’t yet been mentioned?

As Leper said above, behaviour online on a bloody forum simply isn’t representative of what goes on inside the stadium.

We all have anecdotal evidence, but in over 18 years of being a season ticket holder in both stadiums I found that the negative arsey fans were actually the ones who would start and join in the chants, creating an atmosphere. The more positive fans were generally the more mild mannered, middle class behaving fans who would generally quietly sit there, only raising their game for the very biggest occasions.

Having poor support isn’t just something that afflicts Arsenal, it’s a general trend in football up and down the country. Some are affected more than others, with us probably being one of the worst ones, but it is a general trend. There are clearly far better explanations for why this has happened, as opposed to some notion of stadiums being quieter because the loud, positive fans are afraid of getting stick from the mean, nasty negative fans who don’t like people cheering and chanting. Just because you saw someone get stick at Palace for being too supportive of the team (apparently) doesn’t mean it’s any sort of explanation for what is a general trend in football.

So I stand by calling your statement nonsense.

3 Likes