Arsenal Vs FC Basel (CL)

Statistically this is the first game of the season that we haven’t finished the chances/scored the goals we should have. Finishing has been fine to this point.

1 Like

IMO is not that our bench quality is low but more that Wenger doesn’t want to modify the team that is providing such great results.

1 Like

Lol… Keane’s such a miserable bitter cunt. His idea of a good team is smashing every player to bits. He cant stand that we have less aggressive players but with 10x more class than the average cunt.

Im sure Vieira wore gloves before and he got the better of Keane on more than one occassion :joy:

2 Likes

Think before you say Roy!

1 Like
5 Likes

^^ That video in 2 minutes perfectly sumes up the fragile state and twat Roy Keane is :joy:

1 Like

I got fucking mexican ESPN… from the U.S.!! and a couple of times I’ve used a folder to block the bottom of my TV when rewatching a game. Those frickin’ morons!

1 Like

Lol, my wife told me I should put something up to block the ticker at the bottom of the screen but I just was so flabbergasted by the stupidity I didn’t even bother, besides it’s a 55 inc tv so a folder won’t do the job haha. Fuck Fox Sports I’m so glad they lost the right ls to premier league matches. NBC does an infinitely better job.

1 Like

Definitely a case where xG does not paint an accurate picture/does not do a good job of capturing the quality of the chances.

We were rampant last night, you always have to be cautious when praising a performance like this because it could be also down to the opponent making things easy on us, but it reminded me of our performance at home against Napoli a few years back, the quality and pace of the combination play was breathtaking at times. In the first half we absolutely ripped them apart and I would confidently say that, objectively, something like 2.77 xG from the first half alone would be a more accurate assessment.

Early days but it looks like we’ve found a formula that works, Sánchez’s performance at CF last night was stuff of my dreams when we first signed him and we talked about developing him into our version of Agüero or Suárez (obviously not quite their level but compared to Giroud we’re talking light years apart).

The worry I have is I think if you make any tweak to the front 4 (maybe 5, including Cazorla), there’s probably going to be a huge drop in effectiveness. Coquelin out for 3 weeks is indeed a blessing in disguise if you ask me, more convinced of that after last night, I think it’s relatively clear that whatever advantage Coquelin has in ball-winning and recuperation higher up the pitch it’s made up for by the increased quality, control of midfield with the ball and offering to receive from defenders and other midfielders, and incisiveness/verticality that Xhaka offers. The lineup we saw last night should absolutely be our first choice XI, it’s one of the first time in years where I think you can name 11 players (well, Cech for Ospina) and say: those are our best XI, full stop.

I know people think I’m just butthurt, but I honestly think we will really miss Gnabry and Wilshere this season (Wilshere depending on if Ramsey will be willing to really give his all as an auxiliary midfielder on the right, and is not forced into the middle by Wenger). Those are options that could really have helped us when one of those front 4 inevitably picks up an injury.

So I’ve only just gotten around to watching some highlights, why the fuck did we wear yellow?

Apparently our home kit clashes with both Basle’s home and away kit.

Haven’t been posting for the last few weeks but I have been watching us play and I just want to say, WOW. The last two games, we seem to have found our mojo. We are enjoying ourselves and some of the stuff we are doing on the pitch is just magical. And let me just say, while Theo, Sanchez and Ozil have been getting a lot of the credit, deservedly so, I cannot overstate the role Iwobi and Cazorla have played in all this. Their one touch passing, quick thinking, silky ball skills are integral to almost every attack. As for Xhaka/Coquelin, they are doing exactly what they are meant to just like the back 4. I also sense this maturity about our game. We finally seem to know how to control the pace of the game, and not just look to go forward all the time. They performance in the second halves against Chelsea and Basel is exactly what we have been missing for sometime. Long may this continue.

And finally, I just want to say it’s great to see our bench strength, with some big names waiting to come in. Just imagine our bench when all of our players are fit. You’ll have Ramsey, the Ox, Giroud, Welbeck, Coquelin/Xhaka, Elneny, Gibbs, Gabriel, Mertesacker, Ospina on the bench. That’s just awesome.

1 Like

What is this?

“expected goals”…whatever the fuck that is supposed to mean.

5 Likes

The trophy we won last season.

1 Like

And Fair enough also, some pro Wenger people are gloating at the moment but lets just pray they are still gloating in late March after the winter period is well and truly over.

What a fantastic performance. It was really encouraging to see us play with the same enthusiasm again, not letting it drop. Iwobi is doing so well. But I have to say, even if it sounds ridiculsouly churlish, that our profligacy started to get on my nerves. Sanchez especially should have put away a couple. Heres hoping some of those missed chances will just make the team even more goal hungry in the future. Its’ been thrilling to watch.

1 Like

Yes JB!

Our last three matches are Spurs (away), United and Everton. I reckon we’re not going to lose it, if happen to be in contention and City hasn’t run away at that point, in the winter months but at the end of the season. Which will mean the narrative of us being bottlers will live on.