Arsenal v Southampton (EFL Cup)

Less than 25k??

Nah, it was over 50k, definitely. No official announcement that I remember.

Watched 5 minutes and then switched to chess. That’s how thrilled I was about watching this game.

Honestly I don’t know what you’d expect playing with the team we did. Usually we’d at least try to keep it save at the back but this time it was just full rotation in every position possible and reasonable.

1 Like

I had both the Chess game and the football game on at the same time, attention slowly moved over to the chess game as time went on. At least the Blitz was alright!

2 Likes

Much bigger and better trophies we can win to worry about

Fuck life why are Arsenal so predictable. Late November we finish 2nd in the CL group and then crash out of the League Cup. We’ll probably hang around the top of the league until at least early January to get my hopes up. And then you know how the story ends.

3 Likes

Just got back to Brighton from the game. First time I’d been in Block 3 and at Row 3 the players and manager are as near as it gets. Obviously a pathetic night of football and about as cold an evening as I can remember.

It’s not so much losing which hurts really. You could easily expect that. What hurts is the sheer hopelessness of the team, the manager and the manner in which we try to play our football.

I could go on but honestly, we’re a nothing side. No game plan, no cohesion and several woefully underperforming players in crucially important squad places.

I think we were actually a much better outfit in 2007, both the first team and reserves, than we are now.

6 Likes

Yeah I suppose the FA cup is bigger than the league cup. Or were you referring to the Champions League and Premier League ? :joy: Anyways piss poor against Southampton but that was to be expected as we are often piss poor with our best 11 but get bailed out by individual play from Sanchez and or Ozil etc.

Dissapointed to find that yaya hasnt got over his nappy rash which has been troubling him. The attitude of the team sucked. Zero motivation. A few pretty patterns but mainly a whole pile of poo. An insult to thise that paid coin to watch it.

1 Like

It looked like the upper tier wasn’t open, seemed to be in darkness. Maybe bein sports just had a dodgy feed. :slight_smile:

Looked nearly full to me!

We can compete for the Premier League and FA Cup is always better. We never won the League Cup with Wenger as it’s pointless.

This was effectively Arsenal reserves v Southampton reserves.
But a lot of our players are experienced and some of them international players, so to lose by two goals at home, with a pretty poor performance means, either Wenger could care less about the League Cup, or our reserves aren’t very good good.

Considering very few o the Southampton reserves would have got into our reserves, then it probably means a bit of both.

3 Likes

Wenger these days will always struggle against another side that has similar level talent that his does. Usually we look poor most games against average opponents but get bailed out by star power e.g. Sanchez and Ozil.

2 Likes

Can I vote for “both”?

I’ll never be not bothered by a be beatdown like that. Regardless if it’s for the League Cup, We could do nothing yesterday. It’s was a pititful performance.

2 Likes

Well thank goodness I gave it a miss then.
To stay awake till 3 for a loss really takes it out of me.

Fair enough. Obviously just something to do with the camera or something. :slight_smile:

At the end of the day its not worth risking key players in this cup. We have a big enough fixture list without having to put more emphasis on a cup that’s prize money is the same money as one week wages. Its a good cup for the kids to get a run out in. Two legs against Liverpool would have taken a lot out of us.

1 Like

Maybe we should get the illusion out of our head we can actually win the Premier League or the Champions League and prioritise this by default.

1 Like

"The ‘didn’t fancy her anyway’ argument from Arsenal fans was both predictable and understandable. The League Cup has never been a competition Arsene Wenger has fretted over, and with good reason. A two-legged midweek semi-final in January comes after the busy Christmas period and before the Champions League last 16.

Still, being indifferent about elimination and angry at the under-performance need not be mutually exclusive."

I think this sums it up well enough, the last sentence particularly.

From this article in case anyone is interested:

1 Like