Arsenal Defence - Discussion

1 Like

With the amount of errors I see leading to goals conceded, personnel definitely is a factor.

1 Like

Well all - liderally all - of our conceded goals are from open play and itā€™s usually a case of more than one error compounded that leads to each goal. Some of the criticism is harsh but then weā€™re judging by league title challenging standards.

Many of our ā€˜team defendingā€™ errors start in midfield or higher up the pitch so Iā€™m loathe to always keep nailing Mustafi and his mates for it.

Some tactical errors have been extremely obvious in recent times, eg Kolasinac getting caught way too high and Xhaka or the left-sided midfielder in the diamond not being able to cover him. This seems to happen quite a lot

Mustafi loves to dive in and when it works it looks great but when it doesnā€™t it usually leads to a strong goalscoring opportunity for them, so thatā€™s why I wish we had someone more rational and intelligent than him at the back

7 Likes

Iā€™d like Arsenal to concentrate on developing a defence with the players we have. We played well against Chelsea and could have a real chance of keeping clean sheets on games but we look confused as to attack or defend. A simple rule is when we have the ball we attck, when they have the ball we defend. If we only work to that simple strategy the style will develop.

1 Like

Itā€™s both but If I have to choose, Itā€™s player based and not just defensive ones.

We have a poor attack which canā€™t reduce the strain on our poor defensive players leading to more mistakes.
Clubs like Barcelona, Bayern etc have so much attacking potency that opposition is always on back foot and hardly come through the match with more than 6-7 forays towards the opposite end.

We need an overall system of an effective attacking & defensive play from the front, which can only be built with superior players

2 Likes

Pretty spot on tbh. The composition in midfield has never felt right all season which ties into the fact formations have felt off too.

I thought weā€™d transition to resemble peak Emery Sevilla where two DMā€™s holding was the basis of both attacking and defensive transitions.

1 Like

Iā€™d love to have superior players but we got no money to spend this season so we have to make do. If we could make our ground a fortress for our home games it would go a long way to giving confidents to the attacking players we have. Itā€™s not perfect but letā€™s get a system in place and make sure we stick to it.

1 Like

Mentioned this in the other thread:

Lukaku, ā€œWe knew Arsenal would leave space when their full backs go forward. I think we could have scored two or three more goals to be honest.ā€

ā€” Chris Winterburn (@cmwinterburn) 25 januari 2019

We can talk about personnel all day.

1 Like

Interesting. This is Emeryā€™s tactic isnā€™t it?

Usually heā€™d like Xhaka to protect the CBs but Xhaka is bad at that and itā€™s on Emery for trusting him with that job tbh.

1 Like

really wouldnā€™t put much stock in this sort of bs banterā€¦ we all know we had massive issues in that game and the injuries cemented it. Xhaka at cb? Are you having a laugh?

Which is why the Per/Kos axis from a few years ago was a solid partnership. Kos was the frontfoot CB; aggressive in nature whereas Per was best placed as the reader and could usually intercept balls being played in behind us. Not the most elite pairing in the world however more functional than anything else.

All the CBā€™s we possess right now are all frontfooted or aggressive. We donā€™t have a Per in our ranks. Koscielny, Sokratis, Mustafi, Mavropanos and Holding.

I think we need to look for a different type of CB in the future. It definitely is a bit of both, personnel/system.

1 Like

Itā€™s a combination of both, not sure what else I can add.

Give some ideas Oz. Who can potentially come in? Who should leave? How should we change our style of play specifically?

This always seems like the perfect, tried and tested foil, doesnā€™t it?

Sol and Kolo. Rio and Vidic. Terry and Carvalho. List goes on

Sigh. Itā€™s not just this one game or banter from Lukaku. With this he confirms what we have been seeing for the whole season.

Well regardless of players we have we need to give up less space in dangerous areas which has been a problem for a number of years.

I think neither of our full backs are good at defending but both are good going forward, Iā€™d stick with Bellerin but we need to find a better LB. As for Centre backs maybe we could get away with one of Sokratis or Holding starting next to a top quality CB.

Our midfield also needs to be more accountable and give better protection to our defence, which has also been a problem for years.

1 Like

I donā€™t know what Emeryā€™s game plan was against Man U, but if it was to get our FBā€™s to bomb up the pitch and leave ourselves wide open at the back so the pace and power of players like Pogba, Sanchez, Lukaku, Lingard, and then Rashford, when he came on, could attack us and out number us with ease, then our defensive issues are clearly with Emery.

If our defenders and midfielders are being coached properly into a strong, cohesive defensive unit but are too stupid to follow instructions, then it is the players that are no good.

So Emery has to either get a defensive coach in, who knows what heā€™s doing or start buying players that can follow instructions and keep defensive errors down to a minimum.

I realise that Emery has been left a group of players by the previous manager, who treated defensive discipline with the contempt he thought it deserved, but this has gone on long enough and the same mistakes are being repeated, which is something else Wenger excelled at.

But when you are letting in so many goals, and getting caught on the break so frequently at home, and nothing is being done about it, then maybe Emery should be taking some of the blame.

2 Likes

I agree with all of your post but when you said, ā€œmaybe we could get away with one of Sokratis or Holding starting next to a top quality CB.,ā€ I think this is exactly what has got us into this mess.

The board and Wengerā€™s attitude has always been, ā€œweā€™ll probably get away with this,ā€ or ā€œtheyā€™ll do,ā€ but never, letā€™s shift out all the high paid dross and get two quality CBā€™s, which is what we need.

We arenā€™t going to sort it out in this window but I can guarantee our defensive issues wonā€™t be sorted out in the next window either.

Iā€™d be surprised if we bought more than one CB and FB, which is the bare minimum, and even then the quality will be limited to, at best, adequate.

1 Like

Yeah I think we need 2 starting CB in reality, I probably just said that because I know weā€™ll never buy 2 starting CBā€™s in the one summer haha.

If Iā€™m being honest we need GK, LB,CB, CB, Winger, Xhaka replacement. Think we need 6 starters thatā€™ll likely cost 250-300 million quid for us to get to title contender level.

1 Like

As well as Ramsey and Ozil replacements :wink:

1 Like