All good things eventually come to an end

Find the title a bit strange because I don’t remember our CL record being all that good except for a handful of games worth remembering, and that 2005-2006 season. I mean, it’s not like we are an AC Milan who were European powerhouses for a long time, with a splendid CL record. Our only claim to fame in Europe is our consistent presence in the competition and while that is some achievement, it’s not something that makes me proud given how little we have done in the competition in those 20 years.

2 Likes

6 Likes

Don’t think so. We were going nowhere with that formation. Couldn’t se us having a late surge if we didn’t change our system.

I don’t know how people can say they’re not bothered and want to be in the Europa League. How can you not be bothered about your team not being in the best football competition in the world?! Yeah the chances of us winning it are always slim but you’ve got to be in it to win it.

I know as soon as the Champions League starts I’ll be looking upon it with envy.

It’s a weird feeling, but hopefully it’ll just be a season long hiatus.

On the plus side, I’m definitely going to go on some away trips to lots of Eastern European countries. Great craic. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Yeah I’m not sure how people are so content with playing in a lesser and more inconvenient competition which will undoubtedly impact our league campaign next season.

Because we’ve had enough of being humiliated 15-3 by Bayern as well as the countless losses to Barcelona or constantly going out on away goals after pissing it all away in the first leg see: Bayern, Barcelona, Milan, Monaco.

This is just something new and different.

It’ll be good to actually play in a competition against opponents on our level and not going into every CL knockout round being a foregone conclusion.

We can play against Basel, AC Milan, Lazio, Bilbao, Lyon etc. We stand a chance and may even get to the semi-final or final.

Personally I’d take the final of the EL against Ajax/Sevilla/Roma/whoever over RO16 and 10-2 to Bayern in the CL any day.

3 Likes

That’s just loser’s mentality though. Let’s get relegated shall we? We’d definitely win the Championship.

I prefer to compete with the best. You have to beat the best to be the best.

4 Likes

All 3 could play Champions League next season :grin:

Yeah and Roma are second presently too so they’ll go directly into the CL lol

I’d like to compete with the best too but our record in the CL the last couple of seasons has been poor, the common denominator is Wenger. Seems unable to achieve European success at the peak of his ability.

I say let’s build some European pedigree with a Europa league win. It’s a tough competition to win but the experience will be beneficial

2 Likes

We aren’t good enough for the CL. I would like to be back in it when we have a team and manager capable of doing something in the competition.

Apart from Alexis and Özil we are a Europa League standard club currently.

Fine. AC Milan, Bilbao and Lyon then.

You know what I mean.

We haven’t even been competing for the last 7 years, we’ve just been the whipping boys against any team we played against.

Remember when we drew Monaco and that was going to be the easy draw we’d wanted for years? And then we STILL managed to fuck it up? And that was before Monaco got good.

The fact of the matter is we don’t deserve to be playing with the best, and this has been proven by the fact that we won’t be playing with the best. We’ve been punching above our weight in the Champions League for almost a decade now which was always shown to be true whenever we’d go up against any actually good team. Getting out of the group stage isn’t even that impressive because there’d always be two minnows from Eastern Europe or Greece or Belgium that we could beat and finish second (we only got first once in god knows how many years).

It’s not a losers mentality on behalf of the fans, understanding our limitations and realising that we can’t compete with the best is just a statement of fact.

The losers’ mentality is that of Wenger, the team and management of the club. They’re the real losers.

8 Likes

Cristo killing it :sunglasses:

It’s not about having no ambition it’s about knowing your level.

2 Likes

Still disagree. I wouldn’t accept someone telling me I wasn’t good enough for a job I wanted - I’d apply for it anyway. You should always aim high. And if you fail at least you failed at trying to be the best.

This woe is me, this is all we’re good for blah blah blah stuff means nothing to me.

1 Like

Fair enough but there’s a reason you aren’t getting the job even though you apply for it every year.

4 Likes

I always get the job :wink:

1 Like

At the same time, applying for a vacant CEO job straight out of school isn’t really going to he successful is it?

1 Like

You don’t know until you try

:open_mouth: SAVAGE from Cristo!

You do. Would be a massive waste of everyone’s time. They wouldn’t even look at it

1 Like