Alexis Sánchez

While you can’t argue with his goal/assist return he frustrates me just as much as arshavin used too, pretty similar players except obviously sanchez has much more desire to win and all that

The real question is, would people say putting Alexis up front been a worth while difference? What I mean is, he’s definately benefitted the side from having more pace up front compared to Giroud and he’s generally done very well. But there have been times where he hasn’t made an impact in a game and as SRCJJ mentions, he has a habit of not always being in the box when you need him to be. Ironically that’s where Giroud’s strength comes in.

If there was someway of combining the pair of them together, you’d have one extremelly talented footballer. At this stage though, I have my doubts that he won’t want to hang around after this season, unless we start afresh with a new manager next season.

1 Like

alexis is playing better, i would say its clear as day a second striker is needed in order yo reaolve his issues.

its almost as if everyone in our squad needs a free role and a team built around them to do anything.

2 Likes

I’d put him back on the wing in all honesty if Welbeck manages to stay injury free or Walcott can play there. The whole idea of Alexis playing as a striker works when he’s actually willing to stay upfront but more often then not he’s receiving the ball in weird positions and then goes on to move it nowhere. It doesn’t really work with the idea of us building up attacks slowly and it doesn’t really work with us trying to break quickly. Hopefully it would also allow us to get more out of our right wing option whoever that would be.

1 Like

Well, statistically he’s on another level, so this kind of just smells of expectations for what a striker should look like biasing judgment.

He’s definitely a world class CF on his form this season. Could he be even better under a manager who can coach a somewhat functional midfield and who could be a bit more strict with his instructions, both of which would be propitious to him not dropping deep so much to the detriment, potentially, of an Özil? Probably, no? Especially with a more quality outlet on the right of him to run into space, offer an outlet to Özil, and also combine…like say, a Gnabry. :mustafi:

Alexis is a world class player no doubt, but i believe his tenacity and general level of ability mask what is often an average ‘strikers’ game.

Though freeing him from strict defensive work has allowed his goal tally to flourish, he definitely strikes me as someone who needs a partner to occupy the space he creates/leaves in the box.

btw AC, we have had Gnabry level players for years, we really need players of a few tiers higher, i.e. Alexis level if we are ever to get anywhere.

1 Like

A goalscoring attacking midfielder, like Cuellar mentions, would be the type of player to pop into those spaces.

Level maybe. But none of our other forwards are, or were, as well-rounded as Gnabry. Sometimes just being a different type of player can make a difference. Not to say we don’t need more quality.

http://www.football-italia.net/99130/juventus-€30m-alexis-sanchez

I can’t see the board turning down £26m for a player in his last year who isn’t keen on staying.

Hopefully £26m is enough to get a replacement in the mould of a great young star like an Ousmane Dembele type, if they haven’t been discovered yet.

If we sell him for 26m, it will cost us more than 70m to replace him.

I can’t believe Wenger and the board have got to this situation.

They must have made assurances to him that we would get at least one world class player to play with him in attack and it’s obvious when we didn’t he was going to leave.

If he goes, it means we are left without our best and most influential player.
He must have won us more points than any other player and, along with Ozil, is responsible for our top four finishes.

It also means rather than strengthening in the next transfer window, all we will do is replace him with a player who isn’t as good, and we will be worse off.

If he does leave, which I expect him to do, and maybe Ozil as well, I don’t blame him.

He is surrounded by players no where near his level of skill and work rate, and a manager that refuses to get a striker that is at his level.

Also, how are we going to attract any top quality players?
What top player is going to come and replace a player that has left a club because of their lack of ambition?

The thought of playing alongside, Ramsey, Walcott, Chamberlain and Giroud isn’t going to tempt any decent player.

3 Likes

I’d rather get another season from him and lose him for nothing than accept 26m. They should be told to go fuck themselves. He’s. 50m+ player no matter how many years are on his contract.

14 Likes

I agree and Sanchez would still give 100% because he’s addicted to playing.

Hopefully our board aren’t little bitches and make a statement.

1 Like

£26m gets you close to feck all these days unless you’re really lucky and uncover a hidden gem. English clubs seem to pay an inflation for players in the transfer market too, i.e. we’re often ripped off. Unless we’re going to get at least what Sanchez is worth with the intention of actually buying a world class player to replace him then I’m not interested in selling him this summer either.

It’s almost as if the club hasn’t learnt from the situation with Robin Van Persie in 2012…

I understand he’s on his last year of his contract, but selling him for 26milion would be criminal ffs.

2 Likes

Not really, add another 12 million on top and you can get yourself a Xhaka which is every manager’s dream, innit.

2 Likes

You’d think at least 50m for a player of his calibre last year of contract or not. RVP went for 30m Euros before the market doubled and he was older, Nasri went for around 30m euros too and again wasn’t as good.

It seems Corriere dello Sport is an unreliable rag anyway.

I’ve come to terms with Alexis and Ozil leaving though. It won’t be as big a deal as losing Fabregas, Nasri and RVP because Alexis stiffles play and Ozil doesn’t defend or score as good as a playmaker as he can be.

2 Likes

See the protest went well…

All talk no action :smile:

where do you get this stuff from? it’s so doom and gloom its painful.

What stuff?