Alexis Sánchez

I think you are being intentionally obtuse so I am gonna draw a line here.

Even though we finished 2nd, last season was one of the most disastrous seasons I can remember as an Arsenal supporter.

2 Likes

Guess he is not coming back until tomorrow.

Wenger press conference imminent. Get ready for the standard ‘he only got back yesterday, we will assess him on Saturday morning.’ bullcrap.

1 Like

Oh, I get it, you throw out an argument and then when you realise you are wrong you, “draw a line here…”
What have I said that is factually incorrect?

And 10 points behind the Champions is 10 points behind the Champions.

1 Like

Again, obtuse. Edit: the fact you have to ask ‘if’ Alexis is our striker… I just. I can’t go on with this conversation.

And second. If you won the league with 80 points no one would say Lol last year we got 81 point but came fourth, therefore we have regressed.

2 Likes

Would be so good if destroys them like he did at the Emirates last season. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Id rather get 81 points and come 4th say 4 points behind the Champions than get say 71 points and come 2nd 14 points behind the Champions.

It was rhetorical, if you didn’t understand that then it’s no wonder you want to “draw a line.”
My point was if Wenger bought Sanchez as a striker, then why did it take two seasons to realise that he is better option than Giroud in that position?

If you would rather come 4th than 2nd, then again, I have nothing more to say to you.

Good day gentleman.

1 Like

I would rather come closer to winning the PL than spurs.
Which is exactly what they did last season.
They were still in with a chance with a few games to go.
We weren’t.
We had to rely on a freak set of results in the last few games to finish above them.
If you think that finishing up just ahead of a club that has only one or two players that would get into our first team, with far less revenue than we do and they have a new manager, that’s up to you.

But until we sort out the striker and winger situation we aren’t going to win the PL or CL.

1 Like

05/06 - 91
06/07 - 89
07/08 - 87
08/09 - 89
09/10 - 86
10-11 - 80
11-12 - 89
12-13 - 89
13-14 - 86
14/15 - 87
15/16 - 81

I don’t see an immediate negative trend over the last 10 years. Last season is an exception, unless we’ll get multiple of those seasons in the coming years. And no, if you happen to become 2nd isn’t doesn’t per se mean you’re closer to the title

There has absolutely been a negative trend over the last 5 years however.

Thanks for the details. :slight_smile:

You could finish 4 points behind even if you were mathematically out of it with 5 or 6 games to go (if the champions won it and fell apart) so I don’t think i agree with what you’re saying here. Although its a slight distinction in reality i think how i’d put it is that I’d rather be in the mix, actually challenging for the title with 1/2/3 matches to go. That’s where we should be as a club and final points totals don’t really matter once we can achieve that…or winning it.

1 Like

That would be only true if the Champions this season and the next get 85 points or less. That’s a trend. If 4 Champions, but one, in the last 5 seasons get 86+ points that’s not a negative trend.

Just stuck the data into excel. There is a very very very clear negative trend accross thr last 10 years.

So, yeah thanks a bunch :smile:

Edit: even without last seasons anomaly included, it’s negative. I’d imagine it will continue to go that was with the current state of there being 5 or 6 competitive teams.

So, going back to an earlier point, no, point totals don’t grow year on year, nor should they.

Finishing second is a step forward, because it meant we were more consistent accross a season than our opponents, which is positive growth and exactly what we should be aiming for.

[quote=“Oliver, post:444, topic:98, full:true”]
I think you are being intentionally obtuse so I am gonna draw a line here.
[/quote]At least he’s not being acute.

1 Like

I guess it’s what fits your narrative. You could also say the minimum needed points for Champions over the last 10 years is 86+, which has been consistent, and what United and Leicester achieved in 10/11 and 15/16 are exemptions. There is a very real possibility the Champion of this year is also going to get 86+ points again.

Anyhow. Regarding Arsenal nothing has changed. But you’ll see that for yourself at the end of the season when we become 3rd/4th again and will have struggled in certain high profile matches and against certain managers.

1 Like