Alexis Sánchez

I kind of just want to sell him so we can get this burden off our back.

Can’t stand another 12 months of speculation.

3 Likes

If I may, a few words on professionalism.

I’m a professional musician. What does that mean?

1. I’m paid to do a job
  2. Never giving less than 100% of myself
  3. Experiencing frustrations and playing ‘through’ them
  4. Knowing how to get beyond those frustrations
  5. Dedication to my craft

Returning to Alexis, he’s got all those. It’s what he is. I wouldn’t put too much stock in his on-field body language re. frustration. He reacts in his own way, but on the very next ball he’s in there giving it the 100%, i.e., he plays ‘through’ the frustrations. That’s because he knows how to get beyond them. These qualities, among others, it what Wenger knows about him, hence his stance on him.

Alexis is a long way from the likes of ‘Le Sulk’ (remember him?).

3 Likes

Well, instead of sulking on the field, he can do what Henry did in his Prime. Receive the ball, turn around, rape the opposing defense , score, win us the game and go about his business.
Love the guy but he can be a f****** Primadonna at times.

Sanchez is only human, and is not immune from possible feelings of resentment that will build up, i.e. you’re keeping me here even though I’ve asked to go.

He’s already practically guaranteed his World Cup place with Chile regardless, if they get there. His stock probably won’t fall so far in one season that all the top clubs will suddenly ignore him on a free in the summer. Who does he really have to impress by playing out of his skin? His reputation is set.

Sure he’ll play to win in matches and all that. I just wonder if that absolute cutting edge to run through the wall for Arsenal will still be there this season. It would just be human nature if it weren’t tbh. By the way, I’m an advocate of keeping him anyway. Sanchez at 80% motivation is still a lesson for most footballers.

Also imagine what the last third or so of the season is going to be like. He’s free to negotiate with X, World Cup on the near horizon. Arsenal most likely in a 4PT battle with Liverpool. Let’s have it right, his focus isn’t going to be on Arsenal by then

1 Like

That’s all well and good and applies to most of us mere mortals. But imagine you were a world famous musician, with enough money to last you 2 lifetimes, if not more. Imagine that multiple record labels wanted to sign you up offering ridiculous amounts of money, even though you don’t know what to do with the money you already have.

I think that changes things a little bit. You can afford to not do much for a year and not let it affect your fame, popularity or your value in the market. Having said that, like @Robin_L said above, I am all for keeping Sanchez and getting even 80% out of him.

1 Like

It comes down to core personality. I know some very well-heeled folks in the music biz, and they come in at both ends of that spectrum and all shades in between. With Sanchez I see someone very much in the middle of the pack. Of course he’s affected by “enough money”, that’s perfectly normal, but I think he’s grounded enough to steer clear of the pitfalls that a moneyed lifestyle can bring. Some can handle it, some can’t.

I could be wrong. I don’t know the guy personally, but that’s the way he strikes me. His core personality will make sure he gives his all if he does remain with us for another season - and beyond that as well.

I agree. I feel the same way about him.

Finally Wenger is showing some balls. Well done Le Boss!

You have gone early, reserve that talk for early September if Sanchez is still an Arsenal player.

He’s ours :relaxed:

1 Like

https://twitter.com/arsenalbarclays/status/889382281734959105

Lets be honest though, his future is going to be a weekly discussion all season. He will need it sorting out and its likely to lead to a strained relationship with Wenger.
Any run of poor results is going to intensify the situation from all angles imo. Need a working relationship here.
If you get an agreement hes not staying in the prem next season then most will accept that. Failure on that will lead to big problems that will impact as the season goes on.
The press will stir the pot at every chance they get if his plans remain murky. Need that assurance for a working relationship imo.

What ever happens, Sanchez is going to leave, either this season or next.
Surely it’s better to make maybe two big signings, to go with Lacazette, and then the whole club will get the lift we have been desperate for.

Going into a season with an unknown quantity, in terms of how an unhappy player is going to affect the rest of the team, is not what we need.

Also, after this season, Wenger is going to leave in the following one, so there will be even more disruption.

As good as Sanchez is, and there is no doubt he is easily our best player, I just feel that we might as well start rebuilding the team that has stagnated further than a lot of people imagined, and get two or three top quality players that want to play for us.

Sanchez has proved he is fairly volatile, when things aren’t going his way.
All it would take is another poor start to the season, and he could be a very bad influence at the club, and it could drag us down even further.

2 Likes

I’m not even convinced he wants to leave.

4 Likes

There hasn’t been anything concrete to say that, you’re right.

But there’s a lot to suggest he wants serious £. I do doubt that it’s £4-500p/w, but it could easily be £350 p/w.

I think he has his heart set on a MASSIVE signing on fee when he moves next summer

If he is gonna sign anywhere this summer then the contract will weekly wage would have to be so high him missing out on that signing on fee doesn’t matter and I guess that’s fair enough

Neither am I. His representatives are just testing the waters, seeing if anyone is willing to pay him 500k a week. If not, he’s probably happy to stay here.

And pick up his signing on fee next summer

I think we have cracked this one lads he doesn’t even want to leave

I think we would have a very tough time convincing 2 or 3 top quality players to join us.

1 Like

I wouldn’t bank on that happening :smile:

4 Likes