Alexis Sánchez

If you mushed most of our squad into a giant amorphous blob Mahrez would still have more EPL winning experience than them combined.

1 Like

The club is an nothing short of an embarrassment if they sell him for that fee. We won’t sign anymore near his level and we’d so far have weakened our squad from last years 5th place with the season 3 weeks away.

1 Like

Historically we don’t get a lot for our players. I’m surprised we even got this much.

£45m in the last year of his contract aged 29 and going overseas to a non-rival is a fucking fantastic deal.

Some of you are massively overrating the inflation of the market if you realistically expected to get £70m lol

We can go and spend €80m on Lemar now (although we should have gone all out for James imo).

I’m just worried that there won’t be enough goals in Ozil and Lemar, so Laca will just be taking over from Sanchez but we’ll still be lacking goals in our attack.

Are there any other top class wingers out who could realistically be bought?

6 Likes

I am reading was seen. Were the people who saw him drunk? :hipster:

It’s all part of Wenger’s plan! Sell Sanchez and get Mbappe. Sneaky bastard :wenger:

If only.

1 Like

Yeah but what is that worth? He’s gonna show that champion mentality and drag us to glory?

Secondly, Petr Cech.

2 Likes

Every year, everyone says “omg this year crazy transfer fees! worlds gone mad!”. Almost every signing is “not worth it”, yet somehow still happens. Last year Morata was being talked about as a 40-50m signing, now he’s 60m. Lukaku was talked about like a 50-60m signing, now he’s 75m.

If Lemar’s price this year is 60m, next year it’ll be 70m, or the next Lemar’s price will be that. No point losing out on 45m, then having to spend 10m more on the same calibre of player we could have this year. We’re rich, but we can’t go offering world record fees for the likes of Mbappe every year while continuing to strengthen other areas without running out of cash at some stage.

45m is a significant chunk of any transfer, even if it’s a 90m transfer. As long as we actually buy a replacement and don’t rely on Iwobi, Giroud, Ramsey or Welbeck to fill the hole then we may be better off in the long term.

I’m guessing that 45m is probably a world record for a player with a year left on their contract, and probably by some margin.

5 Likes

I did say most of our squad. Cech’s a massive outlier and a legend of another club.

Not going to say that Mahrez is single-handedly going to give us a spine but I see a lot of doubt about him from people online and I find it a bit strange. He’s won POTY while dragging his side to glory, yet for some reason most people believe that Lemar at 21 is a far better player just because he’s the hip thing.

Mahrez was a late bloomer but he’s still shown the ability to achieve what many great players fail to do, and he’s only 26, entering his prime so to speak.

3 Likes

I think people are massively worrying about Sanchezs departure. Lets face it as i keep on saying we are fucking 5th WITH the guy, there is more to games than him, he is not a team player everyone says forgive him for his greediness etc because he is WC. Sure he helped a lot but in other ways he fucking hindered us dreadfully too. I think we will see more of a teamwork ethic going on when he goes whether it is this seasons beginning or end. I reckon we will end up back in the CL and maybe even possiblity finsih maybe 2nd without him.

There is stuff about sanchez that detracts from the team and for all of his running around with the bulldog mentality he costs us at times and his petulance will be gone so we will have a squad without all the infighting. I am pretty damn sure we will be actually better off without him. I will take the verbal beatings at the end of the season if we end up out of the top 4 in no mans land again but i reckon we will play better this season.

1 Like

really hope it’s not true and we don’t sell PSG Sanchez

Would you rather Man City?

would rather we didn’t sell him at all this summer, we shouldn’t as he is our best player and still has a year left on his contract

2 Likes

Selling him this summer, whether it’s to psg or another team would be a huge disappointment, there’s no one out there that can replace him, without needing a year or two to adapt to the league/team, we need to add quality to the crurent squad and not let go of our best player.

4 Likes

I completely agree with you but it wouldn’t take a replacement a year or two to adapt

Fair play on the “most” bit.

I think if you want to talk up Mahrez speak to his qualities and abilities, the fact that he’s got experience of winning the PL isn’t a strong talking point, because as Cech shows, having a player who has won the league before basically means fuck all. Gallas came with experience of winning the league and was just as culpable as anyone for a classic pathetic Arsenal league collapse.

Yes, two years is a bit much, what i wanted to say is that a top quality replacement isnt guaranteed to hit the ground running, that’s if they really want to come here after his departure, and that i’m talking about replacements that would help us win the league, and not get us back to the 4th place.

It’s something I look for tbh, and I think our ratio is far too off-balance for anyone to expect Cech to be able to make the difference himself- though he genuinely does try and promote the right ideology. The lack of genuine winners in our side is horrendous and I’d certainly see it as a positive to swap the likes of Theo who’s done next to nothing for ten years with a proven a POTY EPL winner.

It’s hard to put a value on things like POTY and EPL winner but ultimately for me, they’re positives.

1 Like

We aren’t winning the league with or without Alexis as we have Wenger as the manager.

So I would take Alexis joining PSG tomorrow if it meant he doesn’t go to City

1 Like