Alexis Sánchez

That’s a sentence I’ve never seen before haha

6 Likes

I don’t believe the figures being bandied around. Of course Alexis wants a pay rise, anyone in any walk of life would want a pay rise if they were performing their job to such a high standard but I can’t believe the number being quoted. There is no way Alexis believes someone will pay him £400,000 a week - he’d only get that in China. It’s more than just about the money with him.

But hey, it works well for the board. When he leaves they can just have us think it was because he was greedy and demanding rather than because they are incompetent :kroenke:

2 Likes

It seems like the number is really just being put forward so he can get his move to City. Otherwise there shouldn’t really be much reason why he wouldn’t have just joined Bayern to begin with who are the bigger and more successful club.

Might be a strategy to find his way to his preferred destination (Manchester City). If other clubs want him they have to pay up.

Totally bored fed up and fucked off with this now, the season starts in 5 weeks and our whole transfer window is still revolving around this one player

Just get the fuck on with it

7 Likes

Of course, asking £400,000 a week is basically like saying “let me leave”.

https://twitter.com/ChrisWheatley_/status/887265374458318849

https://twitter.com/MattiasKaren/status/887255426315825153

He really meant that there is no where he’d rather be than at Arsenal :sunglasses:

:kos2: :wenger:

6 Likes

I think Wenger stance is clear on this one.

3 Likes

Wenger. keep it up.

2 Likes

Good. We run down his contract and hopefully get CL next season so we can substitute him for another world class player.

Alexis had his chance to sign a new contract, but if he is set on leaving then this is the best option for us.

400k a week is obviously ridiculous.

Messi is on 256k a week after tax, which amounts to 500k a week including tax. That also boggles the mind.

2 Likes

Wenger better deliver then. Surely more than a champions league qualification is required if he holds onto Alexis.

4 Likes

He better deliver this summer too.

5 Likes

Yep. No point in keeping Sanchez in his final year unless you are bringing in more talent to make a run at the league/try to convince him to sign a new deal. Lemar + should be getting done quickly.

Shift the deadwood out, even if the price is less than wanted to get the other guys in.

Let’s go Wenger–you’re making a gambit to keep him, doesn’t move things forward to try and aim just 4th place again.

1 Like

It’s a stance that has fantastic PR potential among the fanbase, a factor that shouldn’t be downplayed.

A lot of moderates like myself would be hugely impressed by the Club actually standing by a decision to hold a player to account for the length of his contract, and by contrast utterly seething if he were sold to a domestic rival.

Now let’s see if it is genuine or just lies spun in public to buy more time

2 Likes

We could get 50m for him and reinvest in a top quality player that we are going to have to get when he leaves anyway.
Or keep hold go him, and he plays maybe fifty games for us, but doesn’t really want to be here, which is going to cost about 1m a game.
Also, at the end of the season he could walk into the arms of Mourinho, or any of our rivals for nothing.

I don’t get how this is any good for us as a club.

If this decision means we aren’t going to get Lemar, or another decent midfielder, it would be another under whelming window.

Maybe he is right. But van Persie was 28 too. Makes you question his authority on the matter.

I fell off the Wenger band wagon a long time ago, but I’ve been itching for a reason to believe in him again.

Retain Alexis, secure Lemar and maintain 3 at the back and I may even have to fight that futile ‘Wenger in’ fight once more.

Please man, just do it. Don’t be Arsene the economics bachelor, be Le Professor; the King of fluid, attacking football. Not this dried up old bag of mind games and bargain signings.

2 Likes

Case in point the post above mine.

On what bases? We said the same in the summer of 2014. We retained the squad which got 79 points and added Alexis Sanchez. Or the summer of 2015 when we finally got that top goalkeeper.