Alexis Sánchez

Again; unless Bernardo Silva was signed for the midfield it doesn’t make sense to sign Sanchez. B. Silva, Sterling, Sane… Those are three very expensive wingers already…

Bernardo is incredibly versatile and will probably see a lot of game time centrally at least initially especially with Gundogan out, Sterling is a good player but he isn’t taking them to the promise land.

End of of the day at a top club you need to be stocked in a many positions, I don’t see any of the players your mentioned posing a barrier to signing Sanchez especially at a club aiming to compete on all fronts.

1 Like

Hope his jailed for forcing catalan independence referendum. Case closed :ozil2:

If its a choice between taking city’s cash and running down the contract then we run down the contract.

And in April we can fucking hobble him and claim the insurance money.

Exactly. He’s contractually obligated to play for us. I don’t care if we don’t get any money for him this time next year. It’s not my money, and in all likelihood we’ll probably sell him dirt cheap like we always have done with our best players.

If we can keep him even without him signing a new bumper contract it can only be good news. We get another year out of him at his prime (I don’t think he’ll have a strop and refuse to play- it’s counter-productive and he’s the sort of guy who wants to play all the time anyway, if only to attract a potential suitor club)

In reality that scenario probably won’t happen. This stupid club have played this out for far too long and we’ve seen it happen before. We’ll sell him for the very first offer Manchester City put up and we won’t even negotiate a packet of Hob Nobs in return

2 Likes

Starting to tire of this guy and his situation. No amount of cute dog selfies can make up for the notion that he’s not interested in playing for Arsenal any more. The Club need to do the right thing by the supporters (as well as retaining some self respect), maintain the course we’re on and do NOT sell him to an English side under any circumstances.

In fairness to him, he hasn’t done anything wrong.

He hasn’t said anything, he hasn’t been running his mouth off in public, he’s been professional.

All we as fans know are rumours we get from twitter ITKs and then him posting motivational stuff on Instagram.

This whole situation rests squarely on the boards shoulders.

5 Likes

I’m not saying he has, and I respect him for how he’s outwardly dealing with the situation. Nor do I blame him for wanting more money, and also wanting out because we’re not good enough.

But. He still doesn’t want to play for us any more, is highly unlikely to wear an Arsenal shirt again and I’d rather get the sale done so we can spend the latter half of the window talking about new arrivals and things in a more positive light

He hasn’t said or done anything wrong. There’s literally no way of knowing if he wants to stay or not.

5 Likes

Sanchez for 50m

and a load of mediocre players these days go already for 40m

what a fucked up world

Lol, again, not saying he has said or done anything wrong.

Is your instinct telling you he’s more likely to want to go or stay?

Maybe his dogs can convince him to stay.

Players have queued up to leave Arsenal for years, despite us always being 3rd or 4th and in the CL (and even at the times we’d get to the quarters or maybe even the semis and not lose 10-2), so you can forgive some of us for thinking this season may not be the one that that trend stops and our best players suddenly decide that life is great.

1 Like

My instinct tells me he’s weighing up his options, or his agent is. The only thing which worries me is he hasnt bothered to learn English during his time here which indicates he doesnt plan on staying long.

I don’t think he will go Man City, if anywhere it’ll be Bayern or maybe even Juve.

Also believe that he is waiting for some intent by Wenger to sign someone Sanchez can play with other than Ozil. He can be convinced to stay.

2 Likes

Language don’t mean much.

Jackie Chan has been making Hollywood movies for 30 years and still doesn’t speak a single word of English.

All of his scenes have to be done with a Production Assistant holding up huge flashcards with phonetic spellings of his lines because he doesn’t speak English so he can’t learn them.

Source: My friend has worked on a Jackie Chan movie.

Hell my parents lived in Spain for almost 10 years and never learnt Spanish :joy:

LOL. Surely you are taking the piss? Is that Production Assistant also holding up those huge flashcards behind the set on talk shows?

9 Likes

Is it true Pires didn’t bother to learn English? Or was it that he just couldn’t be arsed to give post-match interviews?

If it was the latter, I hold him in greater esteem than I did before

In 2012 I worked for an ad agency that had Arsenal as one of their clients, and I got to meet Pires at a photo shoot (don’t worry everyone, I won’t post the picture again :sweat_smile:) and his English seemed pretty basic.

A couple of days later someone asked me to transcribe a couple of recorded interviews done for the Arsenal membership campaign. First was Clive Anderson, which took ages because he tells long winded stories and uses three or four words when one would suffice. The second was Pires, and when you listened to it you could kind of tell what he was trying to say, but when I looked over the transcript it became apparent just how poor his English was, it genuinely made absolutely no sense whatsoever. I feel bad for whoever had to spruce that up and turn it into usable content lol.

3 Likes

If Wenger had shown some ambition by signing a striker the summer we got Cech then offered Alexis a bumper new deal after his first year once he had settled into the team, we wouldn’t be having this problem.

Blame Wenger, not Alexis.

7 Likes

@Cristo are you sure your friend works on movies? :grimacing: I think maybe he’s jealous of you and spun that absurd yarn about Jackie Chan in an effort to impress you. Maybe he wants to be you.