Alexis Sánchez

If the talk is true then we’ve only started offering serious cash, so it may be possible he stays.

Looking at the state of the market, lose Alexis for 50m then what? 100m on Mbappe? 50m on Martial?

It makes financial sense to keep him. Any increase in salary is offset by the cost of replacing him if he were to leave. We’ll never be able to reinvest that money in someone better than he is.

There’s also no way to guarantee his replacement has his work rate, stamina and fitness record, even if they could match his numbers in front of goal.

It’s in our interest to keep him at all costs and if we try that, he might decide it’s in his interest to stay. He may not be 100% motivated by money but it doesn’t mean he’s not motivated at all by it.

It also comes with something else and that’s status. Our top earner, guy who broke our wage structure, it shows the club believes in him and value him with more than just words. No more we must be cheap for the future of our club and instead YOU are the future of our club. it’s a sign we’re willing to compete with the big clubs and you never know, it might help seduce him.

14 Likes

Sanchez is an ambitious player.
He wants to win trophies.
To do that, you need world class players, especially a striker, and we don’t have any where near what it takes to win the PL, and this season proved that.
As he and Ozil are the only players we have that resemble anything near world class, we need at least two more.

1 Like

You’re free to keep repeating this, mate, but I don’t think it’s likely we’re going to make two big splashes. If we keep Per, we got our six centre backs for the new system. We’re probably going to sign Kola, so we’re not going to invest heavily in a wing back. Since we just added Xhaka and Wenger’s limitless trust in Ramsey, I think we’ll add a CM, but probably not the biggest name. Maybe they’ll go for an expensive forward, but I’m not convinced of that either.

1 Like

Hes the best player in the world not involved in next seasons champion league.
Hes been part of a 10 goal humiliation aggregate score to Bayern and 8 to Barca and hes 29. Cant see how and why he stays other than a wages issue.
We have to make that the key and our ace if we want him to stay. Personally I think he will walk.

He said he is the best player in the world out of the players who are not in the Champions League - at least that’s how I read it. Probably true, I can’t think of any others - aside from Ryan Shawcross obviously…

6 Likes

If you’re saying black people have terrible reading comprehension that’s racist bro.

4 Likes

Oops, read it as ‘‘and not in the CL’’

1 Like

cast your mind back to when he joined us, then go over what you have just said.

Stop stating things as facts when they arent!

Rather than being cryptic, just say what you mean.
If you mean we have signed two world class players, we didn’t do it in the same transfer window.
Do you seriously think we are going to sign what it takes for us to convince Sanchez to stay?

The club probably preached to him then that our financial restriction period was over, much like how Gazidis said " we’d be like Bayern Munich" now it’s clear we aren’t getting any closer to challenging.

that would be your opinion and what one could easily refer to as a bit of a reach.

The fact of the matter (that both you and @InvincibleDB10 choose to ignore) is that Sanchez joined us knowing exactly who we were, who he’d be playing with, and how successful we as a club have been over the years.

Time will tell then, I expect Sanchez to be off this summer and you don’t, let’s see what happens. Hopefully your right.

I don’t have any expectations. You two are known for being overly negative though so obviously you fabricate negative scenarios over and over, for that one, elusive ‘told you so’ moment. :smile:

For example:
The ‘we will never win another trophy under Wenger’ business.

I’ve never said that.
But I have certainly said we would finish outside the top four, and spurs would be above us.
It might be negative, like a few others on here, but it was correct.

1 Like

I’ve said we’d never win the league again under Wenger. Never said we’d never win another trophy.

4 Likes

And you’re correct in that assessment.

4 Likes

I never said you did, your buddy above certainly did though. :smile:

If you mean me, I certainly didn’t.
You find it.