Alexis Sánchez

Willian is a serious downgrade from Sanchez.

Yeah I wasn’t denying that, I was replying to another poster to say that I think Willian is closer to Sanchez’s level than Gallas was to Ashley Cole. Obviously I know Sanchez is better than Willian, I am not an idiot.

I also went on to say that it is all speculation and will never happen.

William Gallas is severely underrated by Arsenal fans because of his attitude, was actually a really quality defender before he became too old.

3 Likes

Alexis at Chelsea would make me hate football more than I’ve hated serie a since summer 2011

2 Likes

Willian is an excellent player and reads the game well. Tactically astute and disciplined. Id be happy with him here. Ideally its this sort of player that we need to play with the Sanchez of this world.
Not an ideal scenario but its a decent idea to contemplate.

The events off the pitch have conditioned his reputation.

In my opinion he has been one of the best players we had after 2006.

1 Like

If he did go to Chelsea their midfield would be easily the best in the PL.
Sanchez, Hazard, Cesc, Willan Kante, as well as Moses, Pedro, Matic etc.

Any of those players would get in our first team, if we sold Sanchez.
There is no way selling him to Chelsea is going to be good for us, unless we spent all the money, and more, on a genuine world class striker or attacking midfielder.

Even then we would only be replacing, rather than strengthening.

I’m fully aware that Sanchez will probably leave, but please, not to any of our rivals, again.

1 Like

I don’t think anybody actually wants to sell him to Chelsea. But if he is sold to Chelsea, which he won’t be, then getting someone like Willian plus cash in return is good business.

It’s only good business for Chelsea.
They get an upgrade, while we get another of their surplus players.

Sanchez has been by far our most important player, in the last couple of seasons, and to lose him as well as strengthening a rival club, who are already stronger than us, is unacceptable.

2 Likes

Its better than just getting money like on the RVP deal though surely.

I’m not saying it’s acceptable and it will not happen. I’m just saying on the incredibly unlikely chance that it did happen, I’d rather get a good player plus cash because Willian strengthens our squad no matter how you spin it, because he’s better than ever wide man we currently have. Then we can sign another good forward and it won’t be that big a deal. But this won’t happen. So it’s all just theory and conjecture at this point.

The only way getting Willian for Sanchez is a good idea is if we buy Suarez/Lewadowski/Higuain/etc. to actually replace the goals lost.

In 125 league appearances, Willian has 17 goals and 12 assists.

That is FUCK ALL for an offensive player at a team like Chelsea.

If we’re doing Willian for Sanchez and nothing else, it would be calamitous. Sanchez is at 48 goals and 21 assists in 96 games.

If we’re talking Willian as a depth signing, who has good defensive qualities on the wing, while also spending £70m on someone to replace Sanchez’s goals - then sure, it might not be an awful idea.

7 Likes

Dont know why youd bring the goal stats into that mate on Willian.
Lets spin it another way then. Hes up for grabs from Chelsea I think we should be looking at this caliber of player to improve us. Might be this sort of signing that encourages our top names to stay.

1 Like

Of course it would be calamitous. But it upgrades one area of our pitch and the board can focus on bringing in a top striker to replace the goals lost.

1 Like

If we have to sell Sanchez to Chelsea, i.e thats the only place Sanchez wants to go, then I’d rather a player and money instead of just money.

We find it difficult to sign good attacking players for some reason unless they are readily available, so I’d rather us get a player like Willian in than just money that would be difficult to re-invest with.

1 Like

I’m starting to think this too! :grimacing: Are we crazy?

Probably! But hopefully crazy and right

Do you think winning the F.A. Cup would convince him to stay?

No. He’s already won one and afterwards said that he wants to win/compete for bigger trophies. I don’t see why winning a second would placate him.

1 Like

Where are all these imaginary swap deals coming from. They rarely ever happen. The only way it happens is if a player becomes surplus to requirements. And then he has to prefer us over any other option. Spurs couldn’t even get Ozil or Di Maria for Bale and both were available that summer. Now we’ll probably finish 6th this year, maybe 5th, unlikely to be 4th. That doesn’t make us very attactive to anyone who’s just finished 1st or 2nd.

As it is are big teams cast offs more desirable than next big thing type signings? I’m not sure but I miss unearthing the RVP and Cesc type of jewels.