Alexandre Lacazette (signed!)

No matter what happens we’ll be entering the season with those two. We’ll dawdle on the big deals as always.

2 Likes

The only way we are signing a striker is if one of the existing strikers leaves. And I don’t see us making any big name signing in any other areas either. We all know how hesitant Wenger is in spending big and more than that, how hesitant the big players are in coming to us, even more so now that we don’t have CL football.

As for Lacazette, not entirely convinced he is such a big upgrade over what we already have to justify the price tag.

All I am hoping for is a few cheap, young, promising talents, one of whom might just light up our season. Long shot but a lot more realistic than us getting the likes of Mbappe or whoever.

If you kept Ozil, Sanchez and bought Lacazette you could consider our attack a good one. The problem is the opposite.

He is an upgrade but not by much.
We have Giroud, who is decent, and he often gets picked ahead of Lacazette for France, so it seems they would tend to think Lacazette isn’t as good as Giroud.

Because of Wenger’s dithering in the last few seasons. and his inability to sign a top striker, he has forced himself into a corner and every selling club knows he is the most desperate manager in Europe to sign a quality striker.
So if Lacazette is priced at 50-60m then we have no choice, because the elite players aren’t coming here, if anything our elite players are going elsewhere.

Lacazette is our limit.
Wenger is never going to buy a world class striker.

2 Likes

I think this statement will look silly when he actually moves to a top club/league. Goals are only one factor. At the age of 25 Suarez’s best in a top league was 11, Costa at the age of 24 had a best of 10, Aubameyang at 26 had a best of 19.

I’m absolutely sure Lacazette would score loads more than Giroud here and has the potential to score more than he does

Lacazette doesn’t actually average many shots per game, if you got the amount of chances he got per game up his goal totals would go up.

Many of which are probably CL games where Lyon are dominated. And this year he got 7 in 10 starts in Europe

Up until recently Messi had the same average of 1 in 3 for Argentina, do not want

4 Likes

So underrated.

Just throwing it out there but if I remember correctly Costa had more yellow cards than goals around that stage of his career too.

Do you all reckon that there’s a big difference between Laca and PEA? Not sure if this debate has been had, but I’d be curious to hear opinions on their respective levels. (Btw, is PEA not interested in coming here cause of CL? Haven’t been following the rumours.)

Have we even asked him to come here though? The stories seem to be that no one, aside from PSG, has attempted to sign him. Quite surprising really. But perhaps the powers that be believe Lacazette is a better fit. Julien Laurens said as much on TV yesterday - that Wenger prefers Laca as he is more of an “Arsenal player”. He believes our style of football is too different to that which Dortmund play, PEA needs a lot of space, whereas Laca is better in small spaces.

I quite like PEA myself, I’d be more impressed with that signing than I would with Lacazette.

1 Like

PEA is by far and away the superior footballer.

2 Likes

I’m not too sure about that there are areas in which he’s better than PEA and even if true Lacazette is not yet at his peak.

I think he’s being underestimated by some tbh, he’s a very good striker that has been consistently improving and I’ve little doubt that will continue.

@AbouCuellar I think the gap is smaller than some would think.

1 Like

I think Aubameyang has given up on his Spanish dream and is looking to go anywhere he’ll get paid, I think people will be surprised when they read how much he’s earning over at Dortmund.

I would prefer Aubameyang but the only problem is his injury hasn’t been that great.
Whenever I see Dortmund play, Aubameyang and Reus are usually the stand out players and they often make things happen.

I don’t think Lacazette is a bad player but I’m not convinced he is much of a step up from what we have, although he is most likely the only marquee player we will buy in this window.

Auba has played 30 + league games in each of the past 6 seasons.

Huh??

PEA has played 32, 31, 33 and 32 in a 34 game Bundesliga season.

So basically he’s missed 8 league games in the last 4 seasons.

What’s wrong with his injury record ?

1 Like

I must have it wrong then.
I know Reus has had a few injury problems and I thought Aubameyang also did as well.
In that case all I can say is, sign him up Wenger.
He would be my first choice.
Great striker, and would be just what we need with our midfield, and he might even be the sort of signing that might persuade Sanchez and Ozil to stay.

1 Like

Guy is 28 and not any better than Lacazette.

Pleased Wenger seemingly wants Lacazette over him

1 Like

Auba has scored 80 goals in the past 2 seasons which is 20 more than Lacazette has managed, probably less penalties also lol. Its irrelevant though as no way we will sign Auba.

1 Like

3 Likes

Yet at the same age as Lacazette he’d managed 16, 13, 19, 16 in prior seasons. I’d take either but Lacazette is probably going to have a longer life span, where as will PEA be past his peak in 2 years?