Alexandre Lacazette (signed!)

It’s all very West Ham. Just looks like we’re completely unable to purchase anyone outside of the French league when the chips have to go down.

2 Likes

It Probably wont happen anyway so don’t stress to much.

3 Likes

I don’t think this is true at all. We just have a couple guys in charge that really hate to over pay. If we thre 10m on top of every fee selling clubs wanted we’d have no issue. However we take about 10m off what the player is valued at. It is what it is at this point though, I’m surprised people still cry about it. It’s been going on for how long now?

1 Like

It is underwhelming, considering how long we have had to wait, and the promises from Wenger and Gazidis about “super quality,” and “not being afraid to spend big,” and being able to afford any player, but realistically this is probably Wenger’s best chance of getting a decent striker without having to splash more than about 35-40m.

He’ll drag it out to the end of the transfer window, get a cheap CB, and everyone will be so relieved we actually bought these players, that they will forget all the rubbish that went before it.

We’ve been linked with some of the best players in Europe, as usual, so I’m sure Wenger and the AKB’s, will say, “we tried,” but that really isn’t good enough.

All that being linked to world class players and trying to get them means, is that the likes of Mahrez, Mkhitayran, Ibrahimovic, Mahrez, Kante, Sane, Griezman, Higuai, Morata etc will go to the clubs who don’t go on about “trying” to get players, they just go and get them.

That’s not the club’s fault though. It’s the papers who write that rubbish and the fans who fall for it.

1 Like

I don’t think we can complain about this deal tbh. He’s at a decent age, reasonably proven in a weaker league and a competent centre forward that I believe will improve our overall game. Beyond a real wildcard signing like United signing Martial, what were we really expecting? Obviously a step or two below City and Uniteds strikers but I think he’ll show what we’ve needed is a forward of this type. Giroud is simply the wrong type and no amount of flick ons will make up for his lack of mobility and dodgy finishing. A forward who’ll make runs and can be quick thinking in the box will open up more spaces which is key to Wenger trying to play like Wenger.

The most intriguing forward performance in recent memory for me is Sanogo vs Bayern. He wasn’t perfect but we just looked a completely different side with a forward who’d try and make moves and work the defenders. CBs must love playing Giroud because he’s no quicker than they are and no stronger either. He has strengths but they’re not Wenger strengths.

1 Like

I tell you what would be more underwhelming - signing nobody.

7 Likes

Supporting Arsenal = underwhelming

1 Like

life = underwhelming

3 Likes

Not surprised in Northern Ireland.

6 Likes

Last few posts got me howling haha

I can’t say I’ve watched him play. Look skillful and the right mould of striker, with 48 goals in last two seasons - why can’t we expect him to get to a high level?

Down right negative on this forum ALL THE TIME.

2 Likes

I’d like to know exactly how many people saying this would have been an underwhelming signing have consistently seen this guy play rather than the usual youtube compilations.

Yep. What’s to say he can’t develop under Wenger into a great player? I see nothing to suggest this can’t be the case, other than the general opinion of the French League on the whole.

It has to do with the expectations from past summers. When you go from Suarez to Benzema to X to finally end up with Lacezette some years later, it’s definitely underwhelming. That’s not saying that he can’t develop into a good player, but that we could have possibly had a similar quality player on our team 3 years ago for half the money and wouldn’t have had to put up with some of the players we had playing there over the years.

2 Likes

I think the problem is more that people set their expectations too high. People should know by now what to expect with Arsenal it’s nothing new. Unless some affordable super talent comes along that is affordable like Cech, Özil or Alexis this is how we’ve always bought our players. Xhaka isn’t exactly a world class midfielder and I’d put him in as the same class of player as Lacazette but nobody seems bothered by his signing.

The other problem is that people have such an anti wenger agenda these days that no matter who we sign it will be wrong. Yes it’s annoying and frustrating we don’t get all our business done early enough but at least wait until the window is finished to start moaning.

3 Likes

We were also never really chasing a world class midfielder and we’re also doing just fine in that position after Flamini and Arteta left. In the end we bought a midfielder that is highly rated and cost a reasonable amount. I don’t think both cases are so much comparable.

Honestly, I don’t think anyone will really complain about Arsenal signing a player. As long as he doesn’t look completely useless from the beginning I think most people are ready to give him some time. That doesn’t mean though that a signing can’t be underwhelming (given the level of expectation) to begin with. I mean, AW has been chasing ghosts for at least 2-3 years now, so expectations will obviously be high. It’s not that it’s all just a product of imagination that Arsenal was trying to sign Suarez and Benzema in the past.

Theo Walcott? The entire British core? Giroud? Sanogo? The 100’s of “next so and so’s” playing in league 1 now? Wenger couldn’t develop film in a dark room.

I’m curious about what Lacazette and Sanchez can do together. We should have the ability to obliterate teams on the counter.

It’s not going to get any better than this anyway. Need too hope Malen is the second youngster who actually becomes a superstar.

Yeah if we do get him, yeah great a striker with pace is better than nothing, but it will a underwhelming signing considering the fee. What is the best we can hope for from him?

His league goal tally in the first half of last season is spotty at best then he went on a hot streak for the last 10 games of Lyon’s season. Isn’t this the same thing we criticise Giroud for?

Stats suggest he more clinical infront of goal than Giroud and he brings a different dimension to our play so I’m not going to turn my nose up at him.