Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

Yep get the sale done and then we can have an 11 million quid profit for the window.

It is a kinda confusing situation.
It seems like Ox has finally got a hang of his dribbling & has been lot more effective with it. Some of the passes he pulled against Stoke would make Xavi proud.
His effectiveness won’t reduce if he switched back to wing position. He is young & seems to be finally ready to fulfill his potential. There is also lot more focus in his approach since last season.

But this is Dejavu.

Theo Walcott showed the same promise during ‘Sing da ting’ contract negotiation. Seems like Ox took a note out of his approach. Ox is smart enough to know that at this stage of his career, if he moves to clubs like City/Chelsea, few bad performance will have him replaced by next 40m signing; and reduce him to a bench warmer. No other club will tolerate his inadequacy as much as Arsenal. Same as Theo.
But situation is different, with Theo, we sold Persie that season & Theo going as well would have been a short term PR disaster, So club had to bend over for him.
While Ozil & Sanchez are leaving, we are not as desperate as before, so he won’t get the deal Theo managed to get.
So it is confusing for Ox to switch & become bench warmer or take a lesser contract & get more chances, which will lead to better contract.

For the club, it is confusing whether to sell to rival & grab a decent offer or gamble & hope he turns good especially since we have many gaps to fill & can’t afford another squad hole.

Easier thing would be to take the offer & replace with a better talent, which is not something Arsenal do.

1 Like

Perez to put us in the green :eyes:

If he stays and Sanchez and Ozil leave then he could be our highest earner because he will probably be our best player.
You could also argue that if he does get 120k a week he will be on around the same as Walcott and possibly Ramsey, and he is a lot more useful to the team than them, and younger.

But last season, and the few games he has played this season, he started to look like a decent player.
I know he has lacked consistency, especially considering how long he has been with us but unless we reinvest that money in a better player, which we won’t, it must be better to keep him.

Also, you could argue that we wouldn’t be that excited about spending £35m on a player with 9 league goals and 14 assists in 6 seasons, but a few of the best managers in the PL would.
If Chelsea, Liverpool and Man City have shown an interest in him, then surely we should.

1 Like

Started is the key word there. Who’s to say that after years of inconsistency he’ll continue to look good? And even if he does, it’s hard to believe he’ll become some kind of world beater.

AOC is really not that amazing. Perhaps our expectations of these fringe players are so low that as soon as they have a few decent games in a row we all get excited.

I still insist that he’ll be easy to replace. And even if we don’t replace him, it’s not really that big of a deal. He doesn’t tend to win us games, and I don’t think we really look any worse without him on the pitch. Also, it’ll mean we can just play players in their actual positions - Kola on the left and Bellerín on the right is sufficient. Yes Bellerín has been out of sorts lately, but we know he has it in him to perform and he arguably has a higher ceiling than Ox.

You might be right but as I said, there are several other top managers who have shown an interest in him, and to watch him go to one of those clubs and win trophies with them, like a lot of our other players have done, would be yet another indication that either Wenger doesn’t know certain players best positions or he can’t motivate them sufficiently.

If I thought we would spend the money on a better player I wouldn’t have a problem but we never do and we could get a better player and keep him as a more than useful squad player.
Also, after Sanchez and Ozil leave, he will be a first team regular anyway.

Why haven’t one of these “several” managers bid for him then? But just to entertain the idea, let’s say Chelsea are really serious about wanting him. That doesn’t mean they think Ox is some messiah. I mean they currently have Moses playing RWB, who is average at best. Average players can thrive in certain situations – such as when the formation works and when being surrounded by top class players.

No he won’t, because if he continues to refuse to sign a new contract he’ll be leaving with them.

Don’t get me wrong, I do actually like the guy and if he was to stay with us I wouldn’t complain. But equally, he’s not a Sanchez, we shouldn’t be held to ransom by a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle!

1 Like

Well, for one, he only just started playing in his current role towards the end of last season. So it hasn’t been long for him in that role. Secondly, he doesn’t need to be a world beater, just better than anyone else we have in that role, and he is. As for getting excited about any Arsenal player that has a few decent games, isn’t that what we have been reduced to in the last few years? Or have you not been following us for long? With the exception of Alexis, who has been consistently good, all of our players have good spells followed by shit spells. We are an inconsistent team, because we have inconsistent individuals.

How do you know he will perform to that level again? We know Ramsey has it in him and we know Theo has it in him to some extent because both have performed exceptionally at some point in their Arsenal careers. But how often have they lived up to that expectation. Besides, Bellerin is all about pace, kick the ball beyond the opponent and beat him for pace. The Ox is a dribbler and has pace to burn. I know who I would pick.

Don’t get me wrong, I am all for selling him if we have someone better identified and are willing to get him but if the idea is to make a good buck on the Ox and resort to using Bellerin, am not for it.

1 Like

The fact that this perennial underachiever is the subject of a long stay or go thread sums up the state of this club.

He isn’t turning the Chavs or the cult at Liverpool into title contenders. Wenger refuses to play him at CM. He won’t sign a new deal. Sell him yesterday if either of those 2 clubs are dumb enough to pay 30million plus.

1 Like

Multiple sources John Cross :poop:, Matt Law and Sami Mokbel

There’s probably some truth to this.

ÂŁ180,000 a week? For Ox? Fuck off!

15 Likes

fucking hell that is 100k too much…come to think of it 80k is still too much, he can be sold fuck right of you money grabbing shitty leech! The guy is an attacking player and has about 1 goal and 1 assist on average per season he is a fucking joke!

We’re such a joke, the way this club is run…

7 Likes

A big issue that Arsenal has is the wages that many of the players are on in the squad. Makes moving on average/easily replaced players hard to do and now we are getting bent over a barrel for Ox. Good God.:facepalm:

1 Like

First thought is to say this is bullshit but it would totally fit Wenger’s MO.

1 Like

I may be the outlier here but Ox on ÂŁ180k a week to me feels more like football gone mad than Neymar on ÂŁ500k after a ÂŁ197m transfer.

12 Likes

Club should learn from Theo situation a few years back. Can’t be bending over backwards for English players, who after years of inconsistency has only recently hit a vein of good form. I don’t want to but we have to sell.

Shocking management from Wenger yet again. The guy is running the club into the ground

7 Likes

That’s some panic offer, no way is he worth 180k, this is the kind of stuff that we’d laugh about if spurs, Liverpool or any other club did it, the poor management continues sadly.

2 Likes

Hopefully its a fake offer just so Wenger can use the we tried line.

3 Likes

Why are newspapers only taken seriously when it’s something we don’t approve of?

Arsenal buying Mbappe? nah lol
Arsenal making Ox their highest paid player ever? FUCKINGLOLJOKECLUBROFLLIKEMYPOST.

Like, fucking hell. Relax you soggy biscuit.

1 Like