Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

Yeah I think he will and I’m not the biggest Ox fan, Klopp has a habit of making average midfield type players look pretty good, what was the midfield 3 they had when they utterly destroyed us a week ago ?

It is a shame because we’ve put in the effort of developing him and another club is going to make the most of his better years. Just like Cesc. Just like Nasri.

The question is whether during his better years Ox will be good enough for Arsenal. In that regard I certainly wouldn’t mention him in the same breath as Nasri and Fabregas.

3 Likes

Not saying he will be on the same level as them. Just saying its another example of another making better use of them.

Right, but if Klopp is going to make average midfield players look better (like Wijnaldum), why not let it be ours? The only difference between it being ours or Joe Allen or whoever, is that we get the transfer fee and we don’t have the player who’s not good enough for us and using up valuable minutes and a valuable space in our first-team squad with us anymore.

Anyways, Klopp is a good manager but he’s not a miracle worker. Liverpool aren’t having that great of a season, mainly because they’ve got a rather mediocre squad. Bringing in more mediocrity isn’t going to solve that, even if he will be a beneficial influence to said mediocrity. [quote=“JakeyBoy, post:927, topic:104”]
In that regard I certainly wouldn’t mention him in the same breath as Nasri and Fabregas.
[/quote]

Yeh I was thinking more Flamini, Bendtner, or Song, myself, and in the latter’s case by selling him we absolutely made the best use of him possible.

The guy has pace, can take on and beat defenders, has a powerful shot on him. What sucks is his passing, his accuracy of shot, his decision making. All those can be coached/improved if worked hard on. But you can’t teach Theo to dribble past people, and you can’t teach Ramsey to run faster. So, yes, there is definitely enough there to suggest he can be an important player for us.

You can always raise a question like Jakey did about whether he will be good enough for Arsenal but then I will ask you which Arsenal are we talking about. An Arsenal with Pires, Henry, Bergkamp and Vieira, no, he won’t be, but then neither will any of the current lot be with the exception of Alexis. However, he is certainly good enough for an Arsenal team with Ramsey and Theo in it.

1 Like

He’s been performing brilliantly since the turn of the year but let’s not forget he was absolutely atrocious for a whole season.

Hes doing okay and trying hard in a below par team. Some fans going way over the top with him.
Ox and the other players are never on the same wave length. Its a hallmark of his whole Arsenal career.
His highlights have always been individual moments not team ones.

Here’s how I like to judge players.

If he played for someone else (basically if there was zero Arsenal bias in your heart), would we want them? Would we be excited to be linked to them? Could we see them in our team?

If Zaha played for Arsenal and Ox for Palace, nobody would give a fuck about Ox. If we were linked to him it would be fuck off cheapskate Wenger. And people would still talk up Zaha’s better points and hope a coach could teach him a thing or two.

I’d take Zaha over Ox, but I wouldn’t go out of my way to sign Zaha. Ox is just simply not special and when he leaves he’ll do the rounds at the bottom half teams. Like when Townsend left Spurs.

9 Likes

C’mon now, he’s better than Zaha and Townsend lol.

1 Like

I think he can go onto become a key player for a Southampton, altho their fans seem to dislike him so maybe that won’t happen.

If he starts 25 games in a row and doesn’t get injured then I can see him looking pretty impressive for a mid table team that isn’t expected to win basically every game they play.

Overall though I want top top quality at Arsenal, not Oxlade-Chamberlain level quality. And I think he’s 100 million percent leaving anyway so no point in debating what he can still achieve at an Arsenal-sized club

For what it’s worth I think he will be the player we lose this summer who goes onto do the best (excl. Sanchözil) at his next club but that doesn’t mean I’ll regret letting him go

Yeah, you’re probably right (though at the beginning of the season I wouldn’t’ve have said so), but he’s much closer to their level than he is to Arsenal level, which is the point really.

You can’t really teach the bolded either, it seems more teachable in theory but in reality top players or top passers are already top decision makers or top passers at 20-21 much less 23-24, and there’s absolutely no point wasting time on Ox when we’re a club with money who can go out and buy such players. This has been the reality for over two seasons now, sadly, when it became clear Ox was a failed project and didn’t have enough quality to back up his status as ‘top young talent’.

I hope he stays. Lets give him a decent run in CM and lets see what he can do

Like most players though they have gone stale under Wenger

I liked the Ramsey, Xhaka, Ox midfield - would be happy to see that develop if we can sign a WC forward line if/when Ozil and Sanchez leave.

Is your pic from Secret Garden Party?

yessur! at the colosseum / jukebox / hay bale thing. you been?

Alex can be a top half-winger for us into a trio on midfiel which can cover the space on the right and build a false 4-2-3-1 exactly as Ramsey did when he played with Santi Cazorla and Coquelin, starting on the right but playing in the centre, opening space for Hector Bellerìn.

I dont see a world class forward line playing in front of them three.
Want 2 of them out and Xhaka is in the last chance saloon as well.
Giving him till next January window to give me a reason to stay.

sei pazzo amico mio

how amazing. Yes! 2 years ago when it rained like a BITCH! they had a boxing ring in the middle. such a good rave.