Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

Cazorla is very talented. Cazorla is not world class; not this season, not last season or any season tbh.

World class is obviously a subjective (dare i say controversial?) term, but my god, put the Arsenal bias on hold for a second and ask yourself why he should be considered world class?

Thatā€™s fucking rich.

8 Likes

Didnā€™t expect a serious answer. :smile: was not disappointed.

It really isnā€™t though.

Anyways, Iā€™ve made all the real tangible points with real content above in that long-ish post, if you donā€™t want to respond to them thereā€™s really no point in continuing this discussion.

Losing battles doesnt equate to losing countless battles. Nit pick my wording all you like but the general consensus still stands. Cazorla isnā€™t world class.

Our midfield has literally crumbled without him, the midfield of a top team doesnā€™t look the same because of one player? That almost makes him world class by default. Not only that but his absence is adversely effecting players like Ɩzil too.

Let me ask you how many other players in the PL can do what he does to the same degree? Carrick has been one if not the key reason for United being unbeaten in what 20 games at the moment and heā€™s not as good as Cazorla.

Fine by me Iā€™m done.

In my opinion Kroos and Thiago (just two names off the top of my head) are a good representation of the level a CM should be to be considered world class.

I donā€™t want to drop him. Just want to have competition to see if he can improve in this way.

I wasnā€™t nitpicking your words. I was merely disagreeing with the idea that Arsenal losing a lot of midfield battles over the years precluded Santi Cazorla from being labelled world class. Me reading your words and then disagreeing doesnā€™t mean Iā€™m nitpicking.

Iā€™m not even saying Cazorla is world class, Iā€™m just saying that I think the logic you employed in that part of your argument was reductive and doesnā€™t really stand up to much scrutiny.

And those teams and players I mentioned did lose countless battles (especially Liverpool and Gerrard who lost at least as many as our side), because we couldnā€™t sit here and actually list/count them as there would be too many over the years. In the same way weā€™d struggle to list all the times weā€™ve lost midfield battles.

Because you were nitpicking the wording.

As i said, losing countless midfield battles doesnt equal losing midfield battles.

Countless would signify its happened far too many times to be counted. But whatever. You gonna just weigh in on the actual topic at hand? Or just prowl the forum for your next victim? Shall i just say ā€˜YAWNā€™ now?

Also Gerrard? Really? 500 games across 17 years, hes the guy you use to compare Cazorla to? Give me strength.

Good lord youā€™re making this so difficult and getting annoyed simply because Iā€™ve disagreed with you.

Iā€™m not nitpicking your words, your words are absolutely fine. Your point was that the countless midfield battles we had lost meant that Cazorla isnā€™t world class. I didnā€™t nitpick, I have no problem with you saying that we have lost countless midfield battles, I totally agree with that. I was just saying that I didnā€™t think that meant that Cazorla couldnā€™t be called world class.

I was just adding to the discussion in the thread with my thought on something youā€™d said, and I thought I did it reasonably and not in a way that was meant to bait you. I just wanted to see you expand on your argument and maybe show me why I was wrong.

I canā€™t even tell if youā€™re even reading my posts, because you arenā€™t really responding to my points, youā€™re whinging about nonexistent nitpicking and using amusingly dramatic phrases like ā€œprowl the forum for your next victimā€.

Edit: Yes I chose Gerrard, because heā€™s a good example. If you take any three season period from his career you would find countless games in which Liverpool lost midfield battles, because it wasnā€™t very often that they were the very best or complete side in the league. But Gerrard was very obviously world class, despite that. His team being outperformed in midfield on many occasions didnā€™t stop everyone from knowing that he was world class!

Iā€™m going to just leave it now. I was trying to reasonably engage you and not bait you, to just have a conversation about like people often do on forums, just like I was the other day when you just started doing all the yawning and whatever else at me. Itā€™s obviously proving to be impossible and now we are both just ending up looking like wankers to everyone else for squabbling, so fuck this.

2 Likes

Iā€™m going on a stretch here and claim Kroos and Thiago would also be exposed because of how we set-up.

1 Like

My bad Jake. Im gonna reflect on all this. :+1: but thanks for your post despite my antagonising.

His passing, close control and technique are world class. Heā€™s our most skillful player. His lack of athleticism holds him back. But in terms of passing statistics only Xabi Alonso, Iniesta and Verrati are up there with him in Europe and his percent. Heā€™s a world cup and european championship winner. He was easily our best player in his first season here and arguably the best player in the PL that year.

And neither are nearly as good passers or have the technique of Cazorla

You can pluck stats or attributes in isolation and many players will have elements to their game that are world class. Podolski is an example of this, whereby he was the best finisher the club has had, possibly ever.

However its the total package and consistency that sets the highest tier apart and for me, Cazorla hasnt done nearly enough, nor does he have enough in his locker to really rub shoulders with the best the world has to offer.

Consider the way Srcjj recently spoke about watching Iniesta play. That magic is what world class is all about.

Heā€™s not an world cup winner :wink:. This argument always is a bit weak imo. He was a squad player for Spain.

The technique part I can go along with (you canā€™t really have better technique than Cazorla, itā€™s outstanding), but Kroos is perhaps the best passer of the ball in the game (so of course to say heā€™s not nearly as good a passer of the ball as Cazorla is total bullshit) and if anyone has as good technique as Cazorla Thiago would be pretty close.

Well I donā€™t agree, most supposedly world class players have weaknesses to their game, especially midfielders. Xavi and Pirlo were weak defensively, Gerrardā€™s short passing game and midfield generalship was poor, Yayaā€™s workrate was poor, Vieira and Keane didnā€™t have great long passing.

Cazorla is nothing like Podolski because he has several aspects of his game that are world class. His long passing, short passing, ball retention, close control and ability with both feet are all world class.