Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

He wasn’t bad at all last night actually. But you did feel this was nearer his level perhaps.

1 Like

He played well the team played well last night . He looked very relaxed and the team seemed to enjoy the whole thing . In a pressure cooker world its refreshing to have a night where you can express yourself ! Lets hope Saturday doesnt bring us back to earth with a bang !

1 Like

I don’t get it though.

He’s had games against Ac Milan, Man United, Bayern Munich where he has looked absolutely stellar and a nailed on game changing starter, so he can play that level - when he fancies it?

His consistency issues must be all mental at this point

He still gave too many balls away.

he gave the ball away at least 12 times. but i’m happy he got a goal.

Definitely. He is completely shot confidence wise.
I am sure he himself looks at his career graph & is unhappy with how it has gone.
At one point, he was touted to be starter for England & Arsenal but 5 years down the line, he is still trying to find his feet.
Players like Sterling, De Bruyne have come after him & become 49-59m pound players.

No matter the compensation, any footballer would start questioning themselves & try to overcompensate which leads them to betray their natural game.

1 Like

He would absolutely smash it in the championship

People underrate the age these KIDS (for that is what they are) are at and the pressure cooker environment they live in. Being rich as fuck doesn’t change that.

Look at Raheem up there at City, he was attracting the sort of comments last season that Chamberlain is getting right now in this thread, look at him now under Josep.

I gotta be honest, i’m a bit surprised at all this. Not so much the comments about him not reaching the heights expected at his age, but more the writing him off completely. He has shown enough at times to suggest he can make it big.

Walcott is a more extreme example, he has now been 10+ years to Chamberlain’s 6 and he’s really not going to improve his level. So is the cutoff point for our patience somewhere between 6 and 10 years ?!?

1 Like

Chamberlain is 23, he’s not a kid anymore, he’s actually getting close to his peak age. And he’s not had a season where he’s scored more than 2 league goals or made more than 3 assists. Sterling made 9 goals and 5 assists when he was 18/19, there’s no comparison to be made between them.

As for Walcott while not being elite he’s had plenty of seasons where he’s chipped in plenty of goals and assists, Chamberlain hasn’t.

1 Like

Sterling had his break out season a while ago , Chamberlain is yet to have his and is not a natural goal scorer or have the vision where you can imagine him getting a slew of assists. That does not bold well for a so called attacking player trying to make it at a top club.

Quite frankly his football IQ has always been seriously lacking and that’s not something that suddenly sorts itself out and becomes excellent.

It’s fairly obvious he will not be an elite player like Sanchez, Reus, Ribery, Robben, Hazard et al. And he’s no kid either that applies to the Rashford’s, Dele Ali’s and Dembele’s. I’d like to be proved wrong but his trajectory looks incredibly bleak in terms of becoming a player in the upper echelons of world football.

Yes but he had solid back up so it was a luxury we could afford , he looked releived when he scored. I think it did him good !
I turned from fan to critic last year on him BUT I still want him to do well and last night may be another false dawn or a new beginning !

1 Like

IMO he shows it far too rarely to suggest he will make it big.

1 Like

Unhappy a lot then? :thinking:

1 Like

Watching him for 90 minutes makes a lot of people unhappy too.

8 Likes

Even in Wenger’s faithful nature the Ox won’t make it beyond this season unless he finds top form. This guy has the opportunity of a lifetime at his feet, he needs to make it happen or he’ll struggle to play Champions League and international football again.

good article

Interesting read. What do you think would define this season as being ‘good’ for him?

Consistent game time would (I imagine) allow him to resolve some inconsistencies, but being some years off his peak I doubt he will hit any heights that we as fans are desperate for.

I think the issue is partly that we need to manage expecrations. If Walcott could find expected form it would allow him a little breathing space imo.

Meh. Like with Ramsey, Tim Stillman is way too quick to look for excuses for Ox. And where is the discussion of Ox’s (incredibly apparent) flaws? The fact that the system isn’t quite perfect for him–though if he were even close to as good as Alexis (and I’m not even sure the comparison between their two styles is really a good one…) would it really be an issue?–isn’t really a satisfying explanation for his levels of performance…

1 Like

anything good enough so someone like David Moyes buys him from us

He’s a 75-80th min sub for me. If you want a bit of directness, a bit of explosive power in the final third, he is your man. However when you see him play over the duration of 90 minutes, he just simply makes too many mistakes which outweigh his positives at the moment.

He needs to mature quick if he’s going to be in Wenger’s plan for the long haul.