Alex Iwobi

Based on this season alone he is arguably up there.

1 Like

It is enough of a sample to say he has the ability and ingredients… how he handles that moving forward will come down to his mentality and commitment to excellence and the coaching he receives. There are plenty of uber talented athletes in many sports that simply don’t reach their potential because of their mentality or commitment. What I like so far is that he seems quite level-headed.

Eh, it would definitely be fair to place Iwobi up there, on the list of top 60 under 21 talents that @Burgundy posted from FourFourTwo (http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/fourfourtwos-59-best-under-21-wonderkids-world?utm_m_medium=t), for example, Iwobi is at 22, with people like Jedvaj, Marlos Moreno, Coric, Timo Werner, and Tielemans ahead of him…Iheanacho, Rashford, Martial, Pulisic, Gabigol, Lo Celso, and the obvious ones (Dembele, Coman, etc.) are all ahead or significantly ahead of him.

If I were to make that list I’d probably put him ahead of Jedvaj, Moreno, Werner, and Tielemans, and you can certainly make a case with him vs. Gabigol, Pulisic, and maybe Lo Celso (don’t know enough about him to say). This all while maintaining and agreeing with what you say about Iheanacho and Rashford being better young talents.

So at the very worst we can say that #22 is a fair ranking, I think conservatively we can put him somewhere from 15-20, and I think a decent case can be made to find a spot for him somewhere in 10-15 where Gabigol and Pulisic feature.

Overall I think it’d be pretty pedantic to quibble with him being called one of the top young talents in football.

He should, IMO, be judged like all footballers, on his efficacy, he doesn’t jump out to you as a pure, killer talent like the likes of Martial and Rashford do, but if you look at his efficacy, you can even make an argument with him and Martial, IMO, despite one looking the more talented player in the classical sense. Here’s his statsbomb graph from his starts last season (small sample, indeed, but he’s of course carried it on into this season):

1 Like

No one likes those graphs on here :disappointed:

2 Likes

Those graphs remind me of playing Pro Evo on my PS2

Am I right in assuming that “xA90” means expected assists per 90?

Honestly, some of this stats stuff makes me understand how some old people feel like the world has passed them by.

1 Like

Graphs are really only suitable for the internet. You’d get laughed out of the pub if you whipped out your tablet to compare Rashford and Iwobi like this and rightly so.

They’re nice if you have a bit too much time on your hands but ultimately they’re overkill.

2 Likes

lol yeah, because the pub is the mecca of intelligent football discussion.

6 Likes

Kinda tbh.

2 Likes

The pub is the mecca of non insane everyday people talking football. The internet is more insane mother fuckers who care entirely too much getting a platform.

1 Like

It is indeed enough to tell that he’s talented, but as I say there’s just not enough sample size to really compare him to some of the other names above as some of them play week in week out and have had both good and bad runs in their career which is still something we have to see from Iwobi and how he handles it.

To a degree I think it’s comparable to how Mustafi+Koscielny is already being rated by some as the best Arsenal cb partnership in a long time, while we’ve really not seen enough to make such a definite statement quite yet.

1 Like

Theo Walcott loves you bruh.

:theo:

1 Like

There’s too much work in reading them for me. Give me text any day. :slight_smile:

@SDGooner

Ah well. I just have to be patient. Arteta, Mertesacker, Giroud, Ramsey and Szczesny are gone, luckily, from the starting eleven. Fingers crossed Walcott is the next.

Iwobi is already better to be honest this sarcastic humour ain’t funny because I have never overrated Walcott as a world class player…

Was just gonna say this. There are a lot of young talents doing reasonably well out there but most of them have played a lot more than Iwobi has. You can’t be certain on how good Iwobi will be but he’s shown how good he can be. The kid’s talent is looking real promising at the moment, but it won’t be easy to keep it up and it remains to be seen how he will handle himself when confidence is lower.

It’s hard to say, different players with different assets, playing for different teams in different leagues. We don’t k now how they’ll develop. We all thought Chamberlain was going to be top class when he was 17. United fans thought Januzaj was the next big thing. Some thought Reyes might have turned out better Ronaldo. We all thought Wilshere was going to be a top class player, which he never blosommed into.

No doubt, but the fact that plenty of cautionary tales exist doesn’t mean we can’t do our best to judge the quality of a player. Also Iwobi has had a run of games of quality and influence that Ox never has come close to achieving in his career. Januzaj on the other hand I think is actually a kind of demonstrative case for exactly the type of young talent that Iwobi isn’t-- one who looks good on the eyes but whose efficacy is questionable.

I don’t know why people don’t think Iwobi looks good on the eye, I think he looks exceptional on the ball. Flashy stepovers aren’t everything when it comes to being a winger.

1 Like

Yup, and it will happen eventually (him having a down period), it’s natural when you’re young. He is solid in a special way though imo: his mistakes are very typical for his age rather than weaknesses in his overall footballing game I feel. Defensive work, lapses in concentration, getting the goals are some examples. But all those things can be improved at any time.

His technique, his footballing brain, his vision, his sense for team play, his touch and his physique are all great for a 20yo and those things are often difficult to improve on later if they’re shite at that age, but he has them, so for me it is just about letting him develop and time will tell how good he will get.

1 Like