Alex Iwobi

Born in Lagos but moved to the UK at 4, been with the club since 7 or 8. I think it’s acceptable to call him English, provided that you also acknowledge him also being Nigerian.

5 Likes

Yeah, that’s a bit like me. Moved to London when I was 4 and have lived and studied all over the south for 12 years. My passport is Danish and I love Danish players and feel Danish but I still feel very English. Fucking hate Corrie and Eastenders though, much more of an Antiques Roadshow and Escape to the Country kinda guy myself.

3 Likes

If what you guys are saying is true, He is more English than Nigerian.
And i am surprised he chose to represent Nigeria.

So what you were born elsewhere or you have links to some country or culture.
If you have lived some placed for majority of your life, that’s your home, that’s your country; especially if your childhood was spent in that country.

I’d choose to represent Denmark over England even though I’ve lived in England for 12 years and like 1 year in Denmark.

That is definitely also partly down to the fact that the English national team is atrocious and full of awful players that I hate (not so much anymore but a few years ago that was definitely the case).

In an era where right-populists and parties are getting more popular and people like Wilders, Trump, Farage etc. and their ideas get accepted more in the mainstream, it’s hard to fully accept the country you or your (grand)parents have migrated too as your own. Even if it’s the minority we’re talking about. Identifying with the country of birth or you parents country makes that easier.

I’m not saying that goes for Iwobi too, he could have different reasons for choosing Nigeria, but this what you’re saying is too easy.

2 Likes

With Iwobi I can almost guarentee that his uncle Jay-Jay Okocha had a big influence on him and that’s why he chose Nigeria.

1 Like

He might have decided that winning an ACON or two, being praised for reaching the quarter finals of the world cup, and potentially becoming one of Nigeria’s legends would be preferable to the continual disappointment and vilification that comes with playing for England lol

5 Likes

7 Likes

You look way older than 16 m8, must’ve had a hard life :hushed:

5 Likes

I’m haggard as fuck m8

1 Like

What in the name of christ really is an almost guarantee?

When you think about it, it’s actually a bit of an odd thing to say.

How good was he tonight!!!

3 Likes

Take a bow son! Pure class!

4 Likes

Proper baller. That’s a convincing performance and tops all the work he’s put in so far this season. No one should be displacing him on unless for tactical or health purposes.

1 Like

Vision + Pace and power = iWobi!

1 Like

This kid is really impressing me each week. As mentioned before, his vision, passing and directness is a breath of fresh air. Chelsea didn’t have a clue how to deal with him. The pass that led to the 2nd goal was brilliant. Early days, but this might be the first proper youngster thats broken through the ranks in a long time.

He carries on this projection, he’ll have a very successful career :slight_smile:

2 Likes

How high is his ceiling? I feel like we need to talk about his ceiling.

1 Like

2 Likes

just looking at that makes my stomach drop and my asshole clench so tight i could make a diamond…god i hate heights. I cant stand those videos of people doing parkour on top of skyscrapers right on the edge it makes my hands go all sweaty etc…aagggghhh!

2 Likes