Alex Iwobi

It’s such a weird situation. I really think he’s the type of guy who would have benefited from a loan away from the club last season. Now we’ve got a new manager in, evidently we don’t have a lot of money to spend and the club are probably desperate to get back into the Champions League.

If we can generate 20m from selling Iwobi and then use that money towards a different position or even hang on to it for January … I don’t know. It’s such a risk. He’s still young and I’d want to see how he plays under Unai.

1 Like

Would keep him for at least one more season.

1 Like

Byeeee Iwobi! Bite Lazio’s hand off for 20 - 25m for Iwobi. I would have given him a bit more time to see what we have but we bought Miki, who btw isn’t even a nailed on starter imo and still ahead of Iwobi in the pecking order, and more importantly Maitland-Niles looks the real deal.

3 Likes

You guys do realise we don’t have much of a squad beyond our first team.

If you want a new winger though that means Iwobi won’t get much playing time anyway. And to fund a new winger you need to sell the back up wingers we have.

Perez is back so we could easily offload one or two of Iwobi/Welbz/Perez and bring in a higher profile winger to give us that extra push.

I actually think our attack is pretty stacked. Auba, Mkhitaryan, Laca, Ozil, Ramsey, Perez, plus a new winger would have our attack looking the best it’s been in aeons.

1 Like

Between them, I rather stick with Iwobi

Forwards: Auba, Laca, Nketiah, Lucas, Welbeck, Nelson

Midfield: Ozil, Ramsey, Miki, Guendouzi, AMN, Torreira, Xhaka, Elneny, Willock, Iwobi

Defenders and GKs = lots.

@Trion we’ve got a bloated squad lol losing Iwobi won’t hurt. Nelson, Willock, and AMN deserve to get their chances, they all played quite a bit in the first team last year already.

Edit: forgot to mention that Guendouzi kid seems to be a lot like Iwobi in skill set and is about the same age :thinking:

That’s fair, I’d go Perez in the hope Emery could get a decent return out of him in a bit part/bench role.

1 Like

I would sell Lucas & Welbeck.
Nelson, WIllock have not shown enough to be considered serious options.
Know nothing about Guendouzi

This is what i was replying to, and I simply disagree we’ve got a massive squad. Whatever you’d like to do with comings and goings of said squad is a different conversation completely.

I’m in favor of selling Iwobi because he’d fetch the most on the open market. Lucas and Welbeck could go to but you’d have to bring in a winger.

1 Like

fair

1 Like

In terms of squad, I would say we have numbers but not the quality.
Wing especially. If we lose Iwobi, we are looking at static players like Welbeck & Perez.

Midfield seems fine.
But defence is really a gamble. Chambers, Mavropanos & Holding could grow into quality players or we would be wasting our time.

1 Like

I’m not interested in selling Iwobi, especially at a pittance.

2 Likes

I don’t understand why people get excited over fees. We don’t need £17m. Nor do we need to actively sell decent squad players.

Welbeck is the one that needs to go and be replaced and I have a feeling it will happen. So I don’t see any benefit in letting Iwobi go as well unless we’re planning to sell both and go for a huge money player.

7 Likes

Sell both and get a huge money player is the only reason anyone is getting excited is it not ?

4 Likes

FM syndrome obvs.

Who’s it going to be though? Because I’m talking like £100m kind of money for that kind of sum to be a worthwhile factor in our budget. Even for like a £60m player I’m not sure £17m from Iwobi is the deciding factor if we’re already hoping to get similar amount for Welbeck.

Our biggest signing in this window has been Torreira for around 25m so we should have plenty left for a top player.

If clubs like West Ham, Everton and Wolves are almost outspending us, what kind of ambition does that show?

1 Like

They didn’t spend 60m on a top class striker in January though.

I’m a little baffled by our apparently tiny budget, I’d be hoping we have some juice left for another good signing, I’m just trying to get my head around why we seemingly haven’t.

3 Likes