Aaron Ramsey

He was playing more of a box to box role in the back half of 12/13 I’m pretty sure.

I think that position was split between Cazorla and Rosicky that season. Arteta and Ramsey played the pivot. Wenger made him play there in 11/12 after Fabregas left.

Ramsey and Arteta would seem like a recipe for disaster but I don’t remember that partnership being like what we saw out of Flamini and Ramsey last season, that was truly abysmal.

To me he’s a bit of a Barry/Barkley/Henderson. Stick him at Villa/Everton/Liverpool(preklopped) and he’d probably be one of the stand out players, probably their #2 goalscorer, he’d be allowed to roam forward, probably as a #10, but ultimately no top club is going to go out of their way to buy him.

Even if he did theoretically reach a level where he was good enough to start at a top 2/3 club, I can’t see that club ever being Arsenal. Maybe United or Chelsea but not Arsenal under Wenger. Someone like Iwobi or Ozil is always going to be more likely to shine than he is, so I really don’t see the point of him staying here when it feels inevitable that he’s not going to be the right fit down the line. He’s not going to be happy being backup winger and backup midfielder and all round bench “utility” player so why bother.

I think it says a lot about him as a player that he looked at his best when we were playing what I’d consider the most ordinary football we’ve played in 20 years, but in this current Ozil/Sanchez/Iwobi/Cazorla jizzfest? I just don’t see it and while Wenger is still here I think we’ll be heading further in this direction.

2 Likes

He will be as good as frank lampard was in his prime

Wether frank lampard in his prime would suit our style of play is debateable though

That’s a reach, Lampard was remarkably consistent and unlike Ramsey had some tactical discipline.

Plus his numbers were insane for a CM.

2 Likes

Definitely meant to say could be and not will be their

Don’t agree with 2013-14 being a display of ordinary football(08-09/09-10/11-12 was for me) but definitely agree the gist of rest of post.

Ramsey is a quality player but he is just not a Wenger player and just doesn’t suit the kind of football Wenger is best at.
Although if he can revert back to second half of 12-13 Ramsey who kept things simpler alongside Arteta; he can be a great option to have.

2009-2010 & 2010-2011 we actually played pretty good football to be honest so I don’t know why you included those years…

Because 09-10 was Denilson-Song-Diaby midfield seasons, with Adebayor sulking & Bendtner out wide so we were barely doing anything creative or flair.
Arshavin-Fabregas-Persie combo was only creativity/flair we had but Arshavin didn’t kicked in as we expected.

10-11 was a good season, I didn’t include that.

We managed 83 League goals in 09-10 not bad for a team with very limited creative flair.

Nice to see you defend Arsenal for once. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Adebayor was gone in 09/10…

Weird, I was sure i edited that bit out.

Got a feeling he will start today

Lets pray this isn’t the case.

In Ramsey’s mind football should be played at a snails pace.

2 Likes

The speculative Ramsey long shots are still widly speculative unsurprisingly

He unbalances the team, bringing him on was a nothing sub and nothing but aiming to appease the player.

You know you are not gonna win when Ramsey comes off the bench.

1 Like