2018 FIFA World Cup

Has anybody played less football than Mendy to win a league title and a world cup. Not his fault I know, but fuck me thats some reward for next to nothing.

1 Like

Croatia didn’t lose because of that, they are more resilient than that and France had a lot to do in the second half, and they did it. As they did through the tournament. Thoroughly deserved winners today and through the tournament.

2 Likes

VAR works on clear and obvious. It falls down on anything less and leads to a bigger sense of injustice than a real time mistake.

2 Likes

Stop blaming VAR for human indecisiveness

If you take away the one that was gifted to them Croatia scored one goal in the 90. The same as every other knockout game.

If you want to be known as a good footballing team you need to do better than that. Perisic is pretty much the only Croatian that you’d ever fancy to score a goal. Having a good central midfield doesn’t count for much without goalscorers.

His statement is completely correct. If there is room for argument (as there is with that peno) then VAR isn’t actually a helpful tool.

Absolutely,
They played as a team and as a squad . Every man counted . Well worthy winners .
Possibly one of the best World Cups for years and years .
Congratulations to Big Ollie . He played his part and is a World Cup Winner

3 Likes

VAR as Craigie said is not a decision maker but a source of information to make decisions.

You are attributing decision making to a system while that attribute is held by refs

Giving him a reason to review his decisive decision in this case then.

No I’m not.

Main man :sunglasses:

9 Likes

It is bit weird he didn’t score a goal in the tournament. :joy:

“Son, I was the main striker for a world cup winning team”
“How many goals did you score daddy?”
“I made few assists, and 10 or so clearances son”

5 Likes

That moment was probs the peak of his career. Glad he got the satisfaction of becoming a World Cup winner as a starter, wouldn’t mean the same as a reserve.

I love Giroud’s story, hope he leaves Chelsea for somewhere he’s appreciated

6 Likes

Trololol

https://streamable.com/054el

1 Like

Well done France, can’t say they didn’t deserve it beating Argentina, Uruguay, Belgium and Croatia in the knockouts.

Thoughts go out to Kos, he would have been a World cup winner if not for the injury, that’s going to sting for some time.

2 Likes

I think its been a fantastic World Cup. So many upsets and unpredictable results. I think everyone’s favourites were always changing game by game. I can’t remember such an open tournament before, as no team looked truly outstanding but yet there were some magical games and goals.

Love the romanticism of the WC and hate it when it’s over - kinda like that feeling when you come back from a holiday knowing you’ve got work the next day.

Congrats to France though. They did not have an easy route at all and grew as they went further. Mbappe deservedly got young player of the WC but I’d have given the golden ball to KDB over Modric tbh.

11 Likes

Agreed with all of this until the last sentence.

Modric was the best player.

2 Likes

Guess Pele was right and an African team did manage to win the WC :arteta:

2 Likes

Yay France won woohoo. Anyways kinda glad it’s over now and we can focus on Arsenal and get excited for the new season.

2 Likes

heh

If only

Also not sure how people are hating on that penalty decision. I prefer to see decisions like that not given but it’s really a pretty 50/50 decision, not one that you can really criticise.