2016 Summer Olympics - Rio

Kyle Chalmers in the 100m Free!!! You bloody legend! Go Aussies! :swimmer: :crown: :trophy:

Phew it’s like that old British saying:

“Whatever happens we have the Melo gun and they do not”.

Hungary is winning so many medals in swimming.

1 Like

What a mental game it was. 0-0 in R7s is unheard of. Argentina missing the kick to take the game. England hitting the post in ET. Great try at the end.

1 Like

Why are there so many weight categories. Nobody gives a fuck in some 5ft 6 Indonesian weighing 52kg can lift a stick above his head. Surely the olympics should be about the very best winning golds.

As far as I can tell it’s literally the same as having different height categories for the high jump. It’s stupid.

2 Likes

Still only 3 gold by Italy. :worried:

Because how heavier you are the more you can lift? No way a 52 kg competitor at the Olympics can lift the same as a 100 kg guy. World record for the snatch is 139 for 56 kg catergory and 214 kg for the 105+ category for example. Little guys would have an disadvantage and be excluded from competing just because they are to little.

Good they are inferior at lifting weight above there heads then. As I said short men are disadvantaged in the high jump, when was the last time you saw a a 5ft 7 man in the high jump final? Are short men not being disadvantaged there? Or the weight of athletes doing the shotput or javelin?

Fuck! I spoke too soon. Only one bronze and 3 4th spots today. Really a bad day at office.

And rightly fucking so. A guy with a sumo wrestler statue would be utter shite in gymnastics or equestrian. Are there special categories for them with gigantic horizontal bars or military riding on draft horses? Is there a special category for fat people at the winter olympics ski jumping? There are no weight categories for shot put, despite small, light guys surely being disadvanteged.
If you’re a little, scrawny dude, don’t become a weightlifter. It’s really simple.

@Gunnerpr and @CunningLinguist. But those are sports where weightclasses are maybe not that possible. In weightlifting, boxing, judo and all those are kind of sports it is possible to work with weight classes. Why not do it then?

1 Like

Yep. Could easily say the same about boxing etc. Could just have one weight clss and let them kick the shit out of the little guys. The real reason the different classes exist is that there’s industry/demand for it.

1 Like

Combat sports I wouldn’t group in the same category. It’s more weightlifting, rowing and some others where you get different weight classes where I still don’t really get why we get to find out whose best at being worse compared to other people.

Obviously it’s because those weight classes are in bed in their competitive circuits. If athletics was only a handful of disciplines I’m sure you’d have different classes as well. Meh.

Yea pretty much. If there was enough short people who wanted to do high jump against each other it might be a thing but I’m not sure anyone would give a fuck and watch it. For whatever reason enough people care enough to watch the weightlifting. :slight_smile:

Because you are watching the best, when you’re watching weightlifters in the 52 kg category. Just like you’re also watching the best whenever you’re watching those who perform in the 100+ kg category. It’s not a case of the 52 kg athletes not being as good as the fat guys, because it’s about technique and relative strength. This is why you’ll always have weight classes in olympic weightlifting.

Probably the only thing you can do in a gym, that isn’t boring as hell.

2 Likes

No you’re not. You’re watching some tiny dude struggle with weights the big guys warm up with. :per:

[quote=“A.F, post:176, topic:449, full:true”]
It’s not a case of the 52 kg athletes not being as good as the fat guys, because it’s about technique and relative strength.[/quote]

They are certainly a lot weaker.
And who cares about relative strength? The guy who picks up the heaviest barbell wins. If he’s three meters tall and weighs 500 pounds, so be it. Just like in shot put it’s about distance and not relative distance.

I always found different weight classes in combat sports silly, as well. If Floyd Mayweather had to fight against guys like Tyson, he’d not be on “The Money Team”, but on “The Dishwasher Team”. :poldi:

Should the “strongest man” competition overtake the Olympics? :wenger:

Fantastic gold in the men’s team sprint!!

1 Like

Fiji absolutely battered GB in the Men’s Rugby 7s final. They win their first ever medal in the Olympics. Really enjoyed the addition of Rugby 7s to the Olympics.

2 Likes

It doesn’t really answer the question as to why relative strength is important in weightlifting and not other sports. Nor why there are Weight classes in rowing but not kayaking, canoeing, cycling eg.

Technique and skill are a distinguishing factor in every sport as well as athletic prowess not simply weightlifting and rowing and I’m sure a few others.

I know Ronniec was joking but why isn’t there a worlds strongest man segment in the Olympics?