2016 Summer Olympics - Rio

Why?

Probably mostly because most of the athletes I used to follow some years ago are no longer participating or are not allowed to participate. I would have usually followed the Handball tournament and will probably do in the later stages, but wonā€™t really care about the group phase as I have no particular interest in any of the teams this time and I was also going to follow womenā€™s pole vaulting, that unfortunately broke completely away due to Russiaā€™s ban. There are also a couple of others, that used to be more interesting, but I guess Iā€™ll just have to see. I may find something interesting to follow over time.

Gonna watch Brasil vs. South Africa today. Want to see Neymar, Gabigol and Gabriel Jesus in action.

Small heads up, if you live in the UK, there are 8 dedicated channels covering the Olympics on the Sky channel listings. Channel numbers are from 470-478 :+1:

Will their be female volleyball?

Oh yes, oh yes.

South Africa playing like the old Brasil. Some nice stuff here.
First taste of Neymar. Great save by the south african goalie.
0-0 HT. Average Brasile in this first half (like always).

Great lineup in Germanys opening Olympic football match vs Mexico, just kicked off. Gnabry on the bench.

1 Like

South Africa plays well. They are just too naive upfront. They think to be Barcellona!
FFS! South Africa wastes a free header in the box!
Stupid, stupid South Africa! They were dominating Brazil and now they are down to 10 men because Mvala got two yellow in just 6 minutes.
Gabriel Jesus, lol! Thatā€™s a great way to present himself to City!
What a goal that would have been by Neymar!
Chance after chance now for Brazil. That red card has really changed the game for them.
4 minutes added on. Hold on South Africa!
Yessss! Same old overrated Brazil! Well-deserved hard-fought point for South Africa!

Poor guy. That was one of the worst misses you could imagine. Iā€™m 58 years old and I could have guided it in had I been there (I never could have gotten there, mind you, but if I just happened to be there I could have guided it in). No doubt he has a lot of athleticism, but he seems pretty raw. His touch let him down a few times as well. But thatā€™s what player development is for. Big disappointment for Brazil all the way around.

Iā€™m looking forward to getting a look at Asano tonight. Hopefully things will go a little better for him!

1 Like

YES! Gnabry scored!

lol wtf is going on with Japan and Nigeria. I turned it on to see if Asano was playingā€“heā€™s notā€“and itā€™s 2-2 within the first 11 minutesā€¦Shambolic stuff tbh.

Japan just canā€™t cope physically. Theyā€™re getting out muscled at every opportunity

1 Like

I donā€™t know wtf I just watched right there. Nigeria wins but their players are all yelling at each other on the pitch. Japan has a black guy and a ginger on their team. Olympic soccer is ridiculous.

Did you see that munchkin for Nigeria? The fans were cheering every time he touched it because I think they thought like me that he was a little kid. Turns out heā€™s 21. Saliu Popoola. My curiosity was well and truly piqued.

Lovely goal for Asano. Unfortunately, one of the overage players Japan took along plays the same position, so Asano didnā€™t come on until the second half. But he looked pretty good once he did and got on the board with this nice finish. Certainly a better finish than that one by Gabriel Jesus. :smiling_imp:

VIDEO: TAKUMA ASANO GOAL FOR JAPAN (OLYMPICS)

1 Like

One of the strangest games Iā€™ve ever seen from a standpoint of if you just looked at it quickly youā€™d have thought it was like a pickup game between the local blacks and the local Asians and they all got together and ordered full kit wanker from Eurosport for the match.

What a day for our players yesterday! Gnabry and Asano can cement their place in the first team now :santi2:.
Apart from joke, itā€™s always nice to see our lads do well :slight_smile:

1 Like

I couldnā€™t believe Mexico U23 gave Germany U23 so much troubles by their headers.

The opening ceremony is about to commence soon. Apparently Pele will not be the one to light the Olympic Couldron.